cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra speed getting slower and slower

psk52
Hooked

Fibre Extra speed getting slower and slower

Hi, im wondering if there is a fault on our line.

The speed has been deteriorating for a number of months. a couple of months back i checked it was connecting in the 30s. now the connection speed is 20mb. We are supposed to be at min of 56mb.

I have performed the bt wholesale speed test to confirm and checked on my account. Tests were run with direct connection to router.

Just wondering if there is an obvious problem indicated on the line before i try different hardware

kind regards

Phill

7 REPLIES 7
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Fibre Extra speed getting slower and slower

@psk42 Thanks for your time on the phone today, as discussed I have raised a question on your account to follow up with here.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
psk52
Hooked

ive plugged into the test socket and will now leave it connected there. Only trouble is i have been resetting my router repeatedly and trying different cables to make sure it is not those or any problem settings.

I think due to me manually causing restarts i have reduced the connection speed further. are you able to reset anything to clear any limitations.

kind regards

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey there @psk52,

Thanks for getting back to us here.

This may have caused some settings to change through our suppliers, however, this hasn't been reflected in the testing just now. Our faults team will pick up the fault shortly and provide further steps to get this resolved.

Thanks.

psk52
Hooked

Can anymone shed some light on this (attached image). im pulling my hair out.

an engineer has been sent to the cabinet to test for faults, all good showing 60mb speeds available.

I have a draytek modem when connected, connects at 60mb Down/17mb Up. So any PC or laptop (4 to try) connected to the router RT3200 'wired'' only gets between 17mb-20mb down and 15-17mb up when running speed tests. thats with all other devices off so nothing should be quietly taxing the test.

So engineer tells me its possibly hardware related. So i have a BT smart hub, connect it up (shut everything else off) ethernet connection to laptop and check - 60mb down 17mb up on the hub web browser, speed test 17-20mb down 17mb up.

Does anyone know what may be going on here. is there a limit placed on the down. the upload always seems right where it should be. On my account it always shows 20mb connection on profile.

This has been like this for a long time but not as extreme as this.

cheers

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, it looks like we just needed to make some changes to the speed profile on your account. Please check the speeds when you can and do let me know if there's still an issue. - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
psk52
Hooked

Yeh, that fixed it. Appreciate your help

So now i got to wonder, how long has the speed profile been less than the guaranteed speed. is there a way to find this out.

Dont worry i dont expect a response here.

psk52
Hooked

Speed back to being restricted

A couple of glory months getting the minimum guaranteed, then a couple of weeks back internet dropped constantly for a day and now back fixed at 22mb connection speed.

Honestly not sure i want to continue paying for high speeds when we even achieve half of the minimum. I dont have the energy to hop on here every time it happens i figure i will wait and it should go back to normal after stabilising and it never does.