Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra - or NOT

fandaz
Dabbler

Fibre Extra - or NOT

Hi Guys,

I'm slowly losing faith in Plusnet. Been on board over a decade. 

I run my own I,T company and often recommend new customers and I have to say that it always has stressful issues. Date's changing, Openreach messing things up etc.....

Don't even start me on the new Plus One hub (re hashed HH5) 

Anyway,, recently I upgraded to Fibre Extra and I've been chasing support since the 6th to find out why my DL speed is under 50MB. I was getting 45mb before the upgrade. The only thing that has changed is my upload speed.

Details

DATE                 DL              UL         LATENCY_MS SERVER
03-06-17 17:17  48.61       18.23            0                     Norwich
03-06-17 17:26  48.4         18.64            8                     Norwich
03-06-17 17:31  48.22       18.49          15                     Norwich
03-06-17 17:35  46.57       18.06            6                     Norwich
03-09-17 20:51  45.67       18.03            7                     Enfield
03-09-17 21:39  43.68       16.761          5                     Enfield
03-09-17 21:46  34.47       16.15            9                     Enfield

I was told the following :-

James Somerville - CSC Analyst
6:19pm, Monday 6 Mar 2017

Broadband Troubleshooter started

Followed by

6:21pm, Monday 6 Mar 2017

We are currently performing tests on your broadband service which will allow us to investigate the problem you've reported.

Please be aware if this is a new fault that this can take up to 24 hours.

We'll contact you as soon as we have more information and let you know what happens next.

That was 3 days ago. Nothing since.

Can anyone on here help, or suggest another ISP? I have about 15 accounts that I could transfer over away from Plusnet. I'm sick and tired of the call system, the attitude of certain staff but the main thing is not being able to talk unless I'm prepared to wait 30 minutes or (last night) 60 minutes to talk to them. As a paying customer I don't see why I should have to wait an hour to report that the service I pay for, is faulty.

Thanks

Carl (Fandaz)

11 REPLIES 11
demon14
Grafter

Re: Fibre Extra - or NOT

I recently (01/03/2017) went from Fibre unlimited to fibre extra, Plusnet put the request in to BT to upgrade me, I stayed on a 55/10 profile so saw no speed gain, phone PN tech support and they chased , turned out BT Wholesale were busy and had deferred the implementation date from the agreed 01/03/2017 to 08/03/2017, on the 8th my speed increased, which showed in speed tests.

Call support if you are in any doubt.
fandaz
Dabbler

I've called support, I'm sick of calling them. I update the question system daily but no one gets back to me.

I've asked them to contact me. I'm not calling them again. The music and the hold system is doing my head in.

Thanks for the reply.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

What are the max attainable and sync speed on the Help Desk tab on your router?

Are you testing via a wired or WiFi connection?

Alas so far you have not really provided any information that anyone could help you with.

demon14
Grafter

I found the quickest way to get this sorted was calling them took about 30 mins , although i did call later in the evening (21:00), i found the call wait shorter.

Hope this helps.
fandaz
Dabbler

@Mustrum wrote:

What are the max attainable and sync speed on the Help Desk tab on your router?  I dont have a rebranded HH5, I have worked on them for clients, I have a Linksys EA6300

Are you testing via a wired or WiFi connection? Lan!

Alas so far you have not really provided any information that anyone could help you with.What?

Don't know if you are actually here to help or just wind me up. I'm a paying customer, as most other's on here are. I have called several times and raised a ticket. I was told results would take 24 hours (4 days ago). I've come to these forums for help but really I shouldn't have to.

So from the BT wholesale test site here's some info, please note the line profile......

Download speed achieved during the test was - 45.66 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-47.11 Mbps .
 Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 47.11 Mbps

So just to repeat myself I've upgraded to the Fibre Extra, minimum DL should be 60MB.

What more info do you want?

Before I upgraded to Fibre Extra, my connection was over 45mb!

Before I upgraded to Fibre my BB was over 15MB

My line is good, The fiber cabinet is 70m from my house, the exchange is less than a mile.

fandaz
Dabbler

For those of you who have read or maybe interested, although I've made more calls and added more details to the Question system, NOTHING has been done. 

I've also emailed the CEO Andy Baker, but NOTHING.

So I've wasted lots of time and got no further with this. 

I have about 15 Plusnet Accounts that I  influence/manage, so if anyone reading could recommend any other ISP, I'm leaving. Over 10 years I've been a customer.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@fandaz - If you were getting 45 Mbps before the upgrade, you must have been on the 55/10 product because if you were on 40/2, you couldn't have got 45Mbps. And if you were on 80/20, you wouldn't be upgrading. So with that said, your speed was not being limited by the product you were on, it was limited by line conditions. FTTC goes as fast as it can based on line conditions, and based on the product you have. Since your product wasn't limiting your speed, changing to Fibre Extra was never going to give you a download speed increase.

Only in cases where your download speed is being limited by the product's maximum speed, are you likely to see any speed increase by changing to a faster product.

fandaz
Dabbler

Whatever!

But my neighbor next door is with BT and has Infinity. I tested his line and he's getting 63MB DL.

That's about 40% better than me.

I should get a least 60MB. I'm getting 45MB, 

I just go with facts. 40/20 80/20 call it what you like

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If your neighbour is only 70m away from the cabinet as you claim to be there's something far wrong with his connection.

What are your router stats?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

If your neighbour is getting a much faster speed, the question you should be asking is why is my line being limited. It is not being limited by your product choice but you want to seem to ignore that.

I wish you the best of luck in getting a faster speed - I think you will need it.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

As you're syncing below the estimates for your line we have advised on the 10th March that the next step would be to send an engineer to investigate, if you can advise on the fault ticket of your availability we can get this arranged.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.