cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra Speed

plux
Dabbler

Fibre Extra Speed

Hey, Plus Net.  Back on May 19th I upgraded to the Unlimited Fibre Extra package of 76mbps.  In the chat the rep said, "Your estimated line speed range is from 40-80 Megabits per second. However this may vary due to the distance from your exchange, quality of your phone line, amongst other factors. Your minimum guaranteed access line speed is  50 Mbps."  On the 23rd I received the router, plugged it in, saw my old 5mbps speed, and hopped on chat to be told my new service doesn't go live until the 30th (today).

I came home from work today and run a variety of speed tests and I've been consistently getting 15-20mbps, which isn't even half of the 50mbps guarantee quoted to me on the 19th.  There have been periodic spikes to 89mbps, but that doesn't balance the 50% guarantee speed I'm more often getting.  What's going on?

This raises another issue.  Per the May 19th chat my cooling off period runs out on June 4th.  Per the May 23rd chat the cooling off period runs 14-days from May 30th when my service was activated.  Which is it?  It seems silly to start my cooling off period on May 19th/20th when I wouldn't even be getting the service to evaluate it for another 10 days.  I need clarification because I'm concerned you're going to tell me to wait for my new speed to stabilize, but I can't really wait if I need to decide whether to cancel it or not in a couple days...

Hint: if I'm only getting 50% of my guaranteed speed consistently then I'm definitely cancelling.

28 REPLIES 28
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Fibre Extra Speed

Have you reset the router?

Have you checked on the router settings to see if your sync speeds have gone up?

plux
Dabbler

Of course I've reset the router and yes the updated downstream is there (70.63).  I've been trying to get onto Plusnet's chat since getting home at 7.  In the last hour or so the speed has stabilized a bit more reliably in the 70s.  I'm dubious this'll last and that tomorrow during peak time it'll be crushed down to 15-20.

[Edit] I spoke too soon...

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

I wouldn't normally expect fibre to take that ling to get to up to speed. Certainly not with that level of variations there may be something wrong. Probably best to start the fault diagnostics if the profile has moved to the right speeds.

Regarding the cooling off period to my knowledge of start the day after you sign up not when the service starts. May seem a little daft but it's there for if you change your mind, not as an evaluation period.

In your case I wouldn't worry about it anyway. If the speed is below your minimum guaranteed speed and pnet can't get it up above this after being given a reasonable chance to fix it you'd be able to cancel without fees regardless of contracts or cooling off periods. The joys of the MGALS. Just be sure to run the checks as asked, even if they seem pointless at the time. Nothing ruins an MGALS cancellation quicker than an unco-operative customer as if you present hurdles to the reasonable chance at fixing that will be thrown in if you try to leave through speed issues.
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

On to actual diagnostics anyway! First question-wired by Ethernet or wireless? Most common start up issue would be wifi. Remember, new Wi-Fi signal, possible different frequency from old router and picking up interference, possibly intermittent depending on the source. Easy way to check is hook up a wired connection and run a test. Is that within estimates when the Wi-Fi is slow? If yes then look to change the Wi-Fi channel to something less congested.

Second, is it the device? Try the speed test from a second device. Bear in mind that prior to the fibre you net never pushed beyond 5mb. Mind is a similar situation here-my PC wired only hits 30mb tops wired. My phone on the other hand hits 56mb-line estimate is up to 66mb. I know it's my PC (it's old so the hardware simply can't read it that fast) and my line is fine.

Third, are you experiencing connection drops (orange light on the router) at all or any noise on the phone line? These would indicate a fault of some description but in usage terms it's presenting as slow speeds. If this is the case or if none of the above yield better results then it's time to start the internal checks (test socket etc) and contact support to start line testing.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your service.

With regards to the cooling off period as advised above it's 14 days from the date you sign up or request changes to your account.

Moving onto the speed issue unfortunately you're on a part of your exchange that has some capacity issues.

We've raised this to our suppliers and they'll investigate further

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

plux
Dabbler

They closed the ticket but I'm still sitting here getting a lovely 19mbps when my guaranteed speed was over 2x that... May I also add that the ping is all over the place and gaming is nigh impossible with it spiking to 500-2500 every couple minutes.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just sent a reply to the fault ticket on your account advising how we can move things forward. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
plux
Dabbler

It appears the wireless on the router Plus Net sent me for my fibre upgrade is a bunk as that's what's causing the issue. When I plug in via ethernet I can get higher speed, but even with a computer right next to the router the wifi speed is 20mbps. I told support this on my ticket 175705118 on Thursday the 7th and no one has yet to reply.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Try separating the wireless channels, see here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

If you only experience these problems on a wireless, but it's fine on a wired connection, this could point to wireless interference or similar.

Could you try changing the wireless channel you're connecting on to see if this gives you a more consistent wireless connection. It may also be worth de-syncing the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connection frequencies by changing the SSID for one of them so your devices doesn't automatically try switching between these.

More information on changing wireless settings can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

For splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, this may be more helpful: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Out of interest, could you also confirm which web browser you were using when you ran the BT Speed Tester please.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
plux
Dabbler

I used a wifi analyzer to find the best channel, but I've also tried a few and none of it has made any difference.  I'll try de-syncing the two frequencies though I'm not very hopeful that'll make a difference.  And I've tried the BT Speed Test across multiple devices and multiple browsers (IE, Chrome, and Edge).

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi plux, I've personally seen a big difference on my home network after separating the two WiFi frequencies on bte Hub One so it's definitely worth trying. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kimberlin
Rising Star

I've just switched back to Plusnet from BT and still using the HH6. I too have separated the frequencies, indeed I've had the two wifi freqs separated for a considerable period of time going back to when I used to use the BT HH5. I agree, it does make a difference. Many of the devices I have operate on both freqs but by and large, anything that can operate on the 5ghz network is set to to 5ghz on the router. I think I only have about 3 devices that work on the 2ghz network only. I also use a wifi analyser and I'm on the best two freqs I can be on. I switched off the Smart channel because it wasn't actually that 'smart'.

I have a MK3 Openreach filtered faceplate, so no stupid dangly filter. I believe these filtered faceplates are absolutely what you need for reliable FTTC fibre broadband. My connection has been rock solid with both Plusnet and BT for as long as I can remember. I have never had any of the problems that I so frequently read about by other users concerning multiple router issues and downtime etc.

It is interesting though, whilst I was still with BT, in October of 2017, I was sent an email stating I would be getting a 'free' speed boost. Sure enough, they increased my broadband speed from around 45mbps to 55mbps. Fantastic! until a few weeks later, my broadband speed was subsequently reduced without notification to around what it currently is, around 47 to 48mbps. I then discovered that without advising me, they had increased my upload speed from around 6mbps, to almost 15mbps.

So now I'm back with Plusnet (pleased to be back) and as far as download and upload speed is concerned, absolutely naff all has changed from the move from BT, I'm still getting above the Plusnet guaranteed minimum speed of 42.2mbps but my line is seemingly capable of at least 55 mbps, because at one point with BT, that is exactly what I was getting. I'm still baffled why this reduction in speed was made? I'm on the 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' package with Plusnet and not getting anywhere near 76mbps but of course I'll just get the bat thrown back that they're providing above my minimum guaranteed download speed.

So my question to any staff members reading this is, as I know my line is capable of at least 55mbps because I've actually been able to get that speed and I've made no changes to my equipment, why am I not getting at least 55mbps?