Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra Speed has reduced

canberra100
Hooked

Fibre Extra Speed has reduced

Hello,

There seems to be a few problems with fibre broadband speed. When I upgraded last year I was getting 65/68 d/l  not sure what u/l speed was but after it settled down I was happy. Over the past several weeks I have running speed tests and I'm on a constant of between 52/55 download and 18 upload. I have been through the BT trouble shoot and at the end they said there was nothing they could do, the speed was adequate or words to that effect. Is this correct.

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Fibre Extra Speed has reduced

@canberra100  Welcome to the forum.

The key is what you get if you put your phone number in here. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL This will tell us the speeds your line should support.

If you need help interpreting the results then obscure your phone number and post them here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

canberra100
Hooked

Hello Baldrick1

Thanks for the advice, I think you were right when suggesting I need an interpreter. How do I post the result to you please.

Many Thanks

Baldrick1

@canberra100 

If you can take a screenshot and either obsure or crop out the phone number all you do is click on the landscape icom on the top of the reply box. If you hover over the icon it says Insert Photos.

Header.jpg

Moderator and Customer

canberra100
Hooked

Screenshot (5).png

canberra100
Hooked

Hello Baldrick1,

Hope the screenshot is what you were after.

Many Thanks

Baldrick1

@canberra100 

This is telling us that you might expect a synch rate between 74.9 and 80Mbps with a handback threshold of 69.4Mbps. Your line when tested last October was running at 59.99, which is a bit slow.

If you want to get the full speed then before going any further you need to gain access to yout BT Test socket by taking the front off the Master socket. Plug in a wired telephone and ring 17070 then Option 2, the quiet line test. If there's any background noise then report a phone, not broadband fault. If that's OK plug your filter in to the Test socket. Connect to your hub and from the hub to a computer  both using cables and do a speed test. If you use the BTw tester https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then follow up with the further diagnostics the results will be saved and can be viewed by Plusnet and Openreach.

If it's still low then all that you can do is report a fault at faults.plus.net. If your speed improves then come back for the next moves.

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@canberra100  @Baldrick1  The fact that the observed speed is almost exactly 60Mbps suggests that the line is banded at that speed. It would be worth asking Plusnet to request a DLM reset which would remove the banding. Getting a CS person who understands the problem and knows what to do could be tricky.

canberra100
Hooked

Baldrick1,

Thanks, strange I was getting middle to high 60's when I upgraded and now I'm down to middle 50's.

I shall endeavour to follow the instructions and see what happens. My main pc and the Hub run from an extension in my man cave so would it be ok to do the test from a cabled laptop (normally wifi).

Regards

canberra100
Hooked

Hello RealAleMadrid/Baldrick1

Thanks for getting in touch, is this something I should do before entering into the world of phone engineer.

Regards