cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra - How long does it take?

mcarlin

Fibre Extra - How long does it take?

Pretty simple: if I change my package to Fibre Extra, how long will it take to activate/see the increased speeds? According to BT I can achieve around 74-76 Mbps down on my line, so it's daylight robbery to more or less double my download speeds for a measly £5/mo extra.

Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Fibre Extra - How long does it take?

The process would only take a few mins, as it's only a modification ,so is done remotely by BT , the 80mbps product also gives you a better upload speed of upto 20mbps instead of the poultry upto 2mbps (40/2) product you are presumably  on now , though it's pn product name Extra is a little misleading  just is the use of the word Fibre used as a description of VDSL2 based  products  as it's only fibre to the cabinet FTTC
The ASA imo should of ruled against ISP's Describing FTTC as fibre
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your on the old 40/20 version so it would be a quick change.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
deathtrap
Grafter

@As Matthew W says a quick and easy , As you are already on that BT product  80/20  Plusnet  have placed their own throughput cap on it  so you can't download at more than the advertised speed of 40mbps , if you go to the BTW performance test  and after running a speedtest  enter your telephone number in the box and, then  continue to the next part is will show your results of the speedtest and you BTW IP profile if it's 77.44 or 77.35 or in beteen  those figures you are likely to be syncing at the full rate of 80mbps 79999kbps
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
mcarlin

Yeah it says my IP profile is 77.35 Mbps. The red bar, which I presume is the cap, says 34.26 Mbps (although on speedtest.net I get more like 38-39 Mbps).
If it's a quick change I'll do it now.
Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Just made the change. It actually says I'll move to it after my next bill..which would suck seeing as I literally paid my August bill yesterday.
deathtrap
Grafter

Yes it would be an internal regrade ,basically removing the throughput cap,(adjusting the Plusnet IP profile to match the BTW one) and of course the Admin work on your account to reflect the changes in price
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've changed it manually for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mcarlin

I figured I'd give it the weekend and a few days after (considering the bank holiday and all), but getting home this evening I'm still on the same speeds.
Can this be looked into pretty please?
dick:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Try a single disconnect/reconnect and you should see an improvement.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mcarlin

No change - speeds are identical.
I thought I mentioned it yesterday but it appears not...I've actually been rebooting my router and modem after getting home from work since requesting the upgrade.
If it turns out that my line can't support the 80 Mbps profile then I may as well go back to my original package and save the extra fiver. But I'd really like more speed if my line supports it.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

your line is supporting more speed the IP profile is the speed your line is doing the 40Mb package is just a cap that plusnet puts on the line at their end when the cap is removed you should get the full speed of the line back in your case 77.35 stated by the profile,
have you checked to see how the profile is set at plusnets end you can find it here   https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
the current line speed should be more or less equal to the BT IP profile if it's not then something is wrong at plusnets end preventing you from getting the full speed the line can do.
as a side note don't keep rebooting the modem it can cause DLM to see that as the line not being stable and add interleaving, banding or both reducing speed  you only need reboot the router if needs be.    
mcarlin

Then I must still be being capped. On the link you provided it says 78 Mb as current line speed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you running the tests wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mcarlin

Always wired of course.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

hmm if the current line speed is 78Mb then your not being capped it would say 40Mb if you were, not a wireless issue because your not using that I don't know what else would stop the speed from returning other than a faulty router maybe do you have a spare to try.