Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra Capping

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Re: Fibre Extra Capping

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Leapy 

From my reading the 40-57 is based on Plusnet's estimate based on your current speed, not the dsl checker results.

This is a bulk email, not an individual look at your actual dsl checker figures.

@Baldrick1 I understand it's like a car on a 57mph speed limit road and the car can only do 54mph, so it will never get to 57mph Wink

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Did a check this morning and its dropped at the cabinet.

Observed Speeds

VDSL

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 41.68          
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 10.63          
Observed Date 2019-09-11

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Leapy wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Leapy 

From my reading the 40-57 is based on Plusnet's estimate based on your current speed, not the dsl checker results.

This is a bulk email, not an individual look at your actual dsl checker figures.

@Baldrick1 I understand it's like a car on a 57mph speed limit road and the car can only do 54mph, so it will never get to 57mph Wink

No, it's like some-one riding in your car at 30mph saying that based on this performance it should be able to get up to 57 mph. When you try it you find that in actual fact you can't get past 54mph.

Anyway, apart from this diversion I'm surprised that there has been no input from a Plusnet staffer regarding the real issue of why your sync speed is so low. Is your router plugged in to your test socket, that's the one you access by taking the front off the BT master socket?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

These sync figures https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Extra-Capping/m-p/1670492#M100816 are within the 40-57 down 8-13 up figures quoted in your upgrade offer. Consequently you are getting the service you were offered, be it at the bottom of the range. Consequently you would probably be better off asking Plusnet to put you back onto the 40/10 service.

The issue then is why your actual download speed is around 38 Mbps. Which brings me back to my previous question as to whether you are plugged in to the test socket.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 I think I will look at replacing my filters and try looking at the master for inspiration 🙂 

Meanwhile, let me share my latest speed test from the PN hub to the PC via cable  🙂

Clearly they have me down as a 20/20 sort of guy and not quite going off half-cocked 🙂

Capture.PNG

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Leapy,

Just so you have some insight from a GEA test perspective I've included a copy below:

There are some errors observed but these seem to correlate with a number of connection drops (which I assume are related to some testing you're performing). Below is your radius logs, can you let us know if any drops don't relate to tests:

It's worth following the advice of @Baldrick1 especially regarding test socket checks, etc, It doesn't look like staff have intervened because the community have done such a good job on this thread of answering any questions and offering support. 

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@JOLO Thanks for the charts and the information Smiley It's useful to know I'm on copper for around 659 metres and there is no other issues.Smiley

I'm looking into @Baldrick1 suggestions (and new filters).Wink

I remember having these same data flow issues years ago, when I was with Sky and I had to open up the Master then Sad but I presume it's still OK as it hasn't been touch and I presume all the fibre rewiring  and tunnelling and pumping, outside by Openreach has noting to do with anything.

I'm sure it will sort itself out in due course and it still works and enables most functions.

Maybe I just expect too much or my PC are too old and useless lumps Smiley

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

It's up to you whether you want to give up and hope that things will mend themselves, which they likely won't However if you want to go forward: 

You are unlikely to get any significant improvement from your update to fibre extra so you should consider asking @JOLO  about returning to the 40/10 service while you've got his attention.

It is apparent that whilst you are in sync at 41 Mbps you are not getting anything like this. Consequently this needs to be investigated. You need to start the search for this problem from scratch.

What you should do is first remove the faceplate from your master socket and plug a wired phone in to the test socket. Ring 17070 and select option 2, the quiet line test. If there's any background noise then you have a phone fault, which needs reporting as such.

Next plug a filter in to the test socket and the dsl cable from there directly to the router. Connect an Ethernet cable between the router and a computer and do the bt speed test. If it's still bad go onto the further diagnostics section. These results are available to Plusnet.

Let us know how you get on. 

Moderator and Customer