Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra Capping

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Fibre Extra Capping

The observed speeds on the DSL Checker don't appear to show what product you are on with BT Wholesale.  I've got a line on a 40/10 product, which is currently syncing around its max for that product, but the observed speeds on there are 50.06/12.71.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Mustrum  @Leapy  My apologies, I had missed the observed speed bit. 

@Leapy  One further question. Have you been on fibre for many years? If so you may have been on the original 40/20.service. This was changed to allegedly 55/10 by using the BT 80/20 service and capping the speed on Plusnet's servers. I went through a period when the cap disappeared and I got the full 80/20 for quite a while.

How are you doing your speed test, wired or wireless?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@pjmarsh wrote:

The observed speeds on the DSL Checker don't appear to show what product you are on with BT Wholesale.  I've got a line on a 40/10 product, which is currently syncing around its max for that product, but the observed speeds on there are 50.06/12.71.

That's very interesting. It suggests to me that DLM winds the SNR down as far as it will go without introducing excessive errors rather than, when there is bandwidth to spare, setting the DLM to the ideal level to support the contract speed by increasing the SNR and hence minimising errors. BT works in mysterious ways its wonder to perform.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@Baldrick1 I've been on the slow fibre for two years. When I used the checker (on the 15th July 2019) it was 34.99  and 9.99! So I'm surprised it has got so fast by itself. Hence, my original question.

As for speed test, yes both direct via a cable and Wi-Fi and direct is a little faster and bigger, but never the full 34.99  and 9.99 at the cabinet, the average was 20 and 7 and at times the up matched the down at around 6. I never complained as it was usable, just slow (mainly after heavy rain) for some reason.

I guess the local ongoing copper cable replacement (from the cabinet to the pole) to all fibre, will also speed thing up?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Leapy 

There is no copper replacement from the cabinet for FTTC services, the connection from the cabinet to your home is still copper phone lines. We still don't know your actual sync speeds which can be got from the router stats so are struggling to establish what fibre service you are on. Where does the 34.99 value come from, it is not what the checker displays now.

In my experience the observed speeds on the checker are actual sync speeds, others seem to disagree so I am not sure what the checker is telling us.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Leapy wrote:

@Shep41  Sorry, I'm not into "router stats" but, I shall ask my "local technical expert" (my son, when he comes home) as I don't really mess with things that work and I don't understand very well 🙂 

The estimate for 80/20 is not mine, it's PN's Smiley Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 11.14.39 AM.png

If I'm on Fibre Extra and the checker is 54.14 down and 11.8 up  at the cabinet 1100 metres away,  how would I ever get 57 down and 13 up? 

Maybe this is a question for the Advertising Standards Authority?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Why are you ignoring the spread of speeds?

The speeds you are getting fall between 40 - 57and 8 - 13?.

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

Next question: Are you by any chance on a fixed IP address? If so then it could be that Plusnet has failed to lift the profile on your account. The two ADSL checker results from yesterday and today are showing significantly different results suggesting that BT have changed your service.

This could perhaps explain why your sync rate has increased but your line appears to be capped. This sometimes happens as the Plusnet profile is only effective on fixed IP address connections and can therefore be missed.

Moderator and Customer

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum wrote:

Why are you ignoring the spread of speeds?

The speeds you are getting fall between 40 - 57and 8 - 13?.

@Mustrum The spread aside.  How would I get the top ends at delivery,  if the input feed speed is lower?Roll_eyes

Mustrum
Community Veteran

PlusNet and the other ISP's quote sync speeds, unfortunately Customers think the DSL service is lossless and live in an imaginary world where they think they can get speed tests the same as sync speeds Cool

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum wrote:

PlusNet and the other ISP's quote sync speeds, unfortunately Customers think the DSL service is lossless and live in an imaginary world where they think they can get speed tests the same as sync speeds Cool

@Mustrum I think I understand what you are saying Smiley as the start point supplied is lower than the higher end point at the customer interface Wink that some would call fraud? 

It's like the lottery with a top prize of £1,000,000 and you only pay out £5,000 as the top prize Shocked

Baldrick1

@Leapy 

From my reading the 40-57 is based on Plusnet's estimate based on your current speed, not the dsl checker results.

This is a bulk email, not an individual look at your actual dsl checker figures.

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran

No, people such as myself get the top prize, I have the 80 - 20 speeds.

You get less because you have chosen to live further away from the cabinet 😉

Baldrick1

In my case I would argue that I was here first and it was Openreach who put the cabinet in the wrong location!

Moderator and Customer