Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra Capping

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Fibre Extra Capping

Are the speeds of Fibre Extra limited or are they likely to improve over time? 

Is the capping likely to be moved in the future?  

37 REPLIES 37
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Fibre Extra Capping

There are two packages available .
40/10 and 80/20.
Are you having issues with your fibre speeds?
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Shep41  It was  mainly the 80/20 I was asking about as the estimate for me is 40-57 down and 8-13 up.

In the past I recall PN improved the up load speed, so moved or removed a cap and I just wanted to know if there was a plan of continuous improvement in place or if limits, were likely to be enforced for technical reasons? 

As for issues on my fibre 40/10 speed, well they have greatly improved, (currently 33/8 on speed test) due to the laying of fibre cables in my road. I understand it was not the new cables, but the collapsed tunnels and flooding that they took four days to fix 🙂

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

Can you check the router stats and see what the line is connecting at?
This will show what the router is connected at and it will also tell you the maximum attainable rate.
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Shep41  Sorry, I'm not into "router stats" but, I shall ask my "local technical expert" (my son, when he comes home) as I don't really mess with things that work and I don't understand very well 🙂 

The estimate for 80/20 is not mine, it's PN's Smiley Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 11.14.39 AM.png

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

Try entering your phone number in the link below and see what BT say the line is capable of
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Leapy 

If the estimate for your line is 40-57Mbps then that limit is due to the distance that your property is from your local FTTC cabinet and the condition of the cable.  It is not deliberately capped at this level, it's simply due to physical limits with this tecnology.

If you are on the 40/10 service then if you do a speed test over an Ethernet, not wireless, connection to your router you should be getting close to 38Mbps.

The screenshot from Plusnet is absolutely disgraceful. Suggesting that you could get up to 2X your speed with your connection is at best very sharp practice. If your line sits at the bottom of your estimate then you will pay the extra for absolutely no increase in speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Shep41  This is what it says 🙂

I'm 1177 meters away from this green cabinet.I'm 1177 meters away from this green cabinet.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1  I'm 1177 meters from  the cabinet and I presume, that as that old copper to my telegraph pole  is all being replaced with fibre, it should improve? 

I also thought the PN claims of X2 speed for Extra was OTT and unachievable, with the current set-up with copper 😞 

Baldrick1

Yes, but with a great big BUT.

Fibre to the home/Premises (FTTP) is a totally different service. Unless you swap to this you will stay on your current FTTC service. The further bad news is that Plusnet do not offer FTTP so to get it you will have to leave Plusnet and go to another ISP such as BT. FTTP is expensive at the moment but it is rumoured that Sky will be offering a service before Christmas.

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Leapy According to your DSL checker post above, you are already on the Extra service, the Observed Speeds are 54.14 and 11.08

As has already been requested, logging into the router and quoting your sync and max attainable speeds would help people give you more accurate advice.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum  Thanks for that info as it's news to me as the best I have ever got is 34 and 9 and that was on a good  dry day as when it's wet if used to fall off! 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1

@Mustrum wrote:

@Leapy According to your DSL checker post above, you are already on the Extra service, the Observed Speeds are 54.14 and 11.08

As has already been requested, logging into the router and quoting your sync and max attainable speeds would help people give you more accurate advice.

How do you work that out? The DSL checker advises what services are available at a property. It does not indicate which or whether the full potential of a service is being supplied.

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1 

As Mustrum has stated, the checker shows actual observed sync speeds from a few days ago of 54.14Mbps down and 11.08Mbps up which are above a capped 40/10 service, which implies that Leapy is already on fibre extra. However throughput speeds look lower than expected.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@RealAleMadrid @Baldrick1 @Mustrum @Shep41  This is most odd. Clearly PN is mind reading and crystal ball gazing. 

@Baldrick1 said the checker shows actual observed sync speeds from a few days ago of 54.14Mbps down and 11.08Mbps up which are above a capped 40/10 service, which implies that Leapy is already on fibre extra.

Yesterday afternoon (9th) I got a call from PN asking me how was my service (it has been much better of late) and I decided to upgrade from 40/10 to 80/20. However, that snapshot of the checker was a few days BEFORE (7th) I decided to go over from 40/10, so I ask the question, does PN switch potential upgrading customer on to a better service, before that phone call?