Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extension Kit - explain ?

StuartUK35
Grafter

Fibre Extension Kit - explain ?

Hey guys,
Whats the deal with the 'Fibre Extension Kit', just need to make sure I understand what it is,  as the way I think it is, it means the guy runs a cable along the skirting board upto 30m in the house, which then has an RJ11 socket on the end to plug into the VDSL modem ??  or is a thin small Ethernet wire running upto 30m in the house, and then u plug your router into that Huh
House I just moved into has the MK2 faceplate downstairs in the living room (prev tenants had BT fibre).
There is an extension socket in the master bedroom on top floor (3 story house), but I need the router to go in the room next door to the master bedroom which doesn't have an extension socket Sad
Fibre is being moved tomorrow, and the extension kit has been ordered/selected...
Just wondering, will the BT guy run a wire from downstairs to the room I require my router to be in, and would it be cat5 or a telewire with a lose RJ11 end to then plug into the modem ?
5 REPLIES 5
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Fibre Extension Kit - explain ?

I think the extension kit usually consists of up to 30m of cable (not ethernet, I think it is just a single or maybe dual twisted pair, CW1308 from memory) and an RJ11 line box. The installer can extend from the master socket using this cable, but will only tack to skirting boards etc. So if it is a long or convoluted route, you might have an issue. At the master socket end, it can either be plugged in via the RJ11 connector, or for a neater installation can be connected to AB terminals inside the master socket. At the other end, it is wired into an RJ11 line box.
What I did was pre-install a CAT 6 cable from the area of the master socket to the room I wanted the modem in. I ran it under the floor because it would have been a nightmare route for the installer. When the installer arrived, he connected one of the twisted pairs into the AB terminals of the master socket, so that hid any wiring at that end. At the other end, he used another master socket instead of an RJ11 line box. I later replaced that with just an RJ11 line box.
Not sure how feasible it is for you to run your own cable, but that is a neater solution if possible. Don't use the cheap flat extension cable, use twisted pair (e.g. CAT5, CAT6, CW1308 etc).
Best of luck.
StuartUK35
Grafter

morning all...
BT guy came to the house, said he was allocated 1hr to do the job, and his notes said he was to move a socket.....
However, he said to move a socket takes a lot of time, and anything over 1hr is chargeable!  LOL  Cheesy
The BT guy ran a wire from 1 socket along the skirting board, up over the door, drilled through the wall, down the door, onto skirting board, and put the MK3 Fibre socket on the wall....
About 15m of normal telewire was used.....
Guy took around 1hr 40 to do his stuff, but all was done, and a new socket put on the wall so I could have my fibre connection in the room required...
Handy to know how the engineers work Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: StuartUK35
However, he said to move a socket takes a lot of time, and anything over 1hr is chargeable!  LOL  Cheesy

That's not true. Was it an Openreach engineer? Or a contractor?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
StuartUK35
Grafter

it was BTOR (not Kelly Comms)
From what I know with BTOR, they get allocated 'X' amount of time to do a job, and then get aggro if they take too long! (from there controllers, etc)..
**On a side note, and not related to a 'fibre extension kit', this install/house move with extension kit,  went as smooth as u could get, unlike what happened in April ! Cheesy  Crazy  Shocked )
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Don't remind me Stuart, me and Tony still talk about it  Grin
I understand that they generally have targets to meet on number of jobs, but it certainly doesn't cost more for them to remain there longer than an hour.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet