cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Equipment replacement (of Plusnet supplied boxes)

Mabel
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre Equipment replacement (of Plusnet supplied boxes)

Hi
I am looking to replace the Plusnet supplied Fibre Modem and router.
With a single box if possible.
I don’t have any problems, I just want to increase the performance.
I want the ROUTER section to be able to handle WiFi at 300mbps
And have a Gig switch not a 10/100 switch
Is this possible, if so can anyone recommend any units.
If not possible can I just replace the router with one that as a Gig switch ad 300mbps WiFi.
Any recommendations.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre Equipment replacement (of Plusnet supplied boxes)

There are fairly limited options when it comes to a combined VDSL modem/router.
The cheapest option would be to get a HomeHub 5 or EE Brightbox 2 - these can be bought from eBay very cheaply and they meet you needs above.
There are other options here from Draytek, Asus, Fritz, Netgear, TP Link - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=163&t=574#T
A small point - One of the things to remember is that Openreach has a 'certification' programme where ISPs (and also maybe hardware manufacturers) can test their router/modems and make sure it's completely compatible with the Openreach network. If/when Openreach roll out things like vectoring, you know any modem/router that has the certification will work.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

A few routers here... good honest info.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/01/broadband-router-options-uk-fttc-isps-integrated-vdsl-m...

Asus DSL-N66U N900
    Cost (Est.): £130
    Wi-Fi Type: 802.11n (2.4GHz and 5GHz) – 900Mbps claimed
    Ports: RJ-11, WAN 1000Mbps, 4 x 1000Mbps LAN, 2 x USB 2.0 (plus support for 3G and 4G dongles)
    IPv6 Ready: Yes
    ADSL2+ Support: Yes
    VDSL2+ Support: Yes (up to Profile 30a)
FRITZ!Box 7390
    Cost (Est.): £200
    Wi-Fi Type: 802.11n (2.4GHz and 5GHz) – 600Mbps claimed
    Ports: WAN RJ-11, 4 x 1000Mbps LAN, 2 x USB 2.0 (plus support for 3G dongles), 2 x Phone Ports, 1 x ISDN Port
    IPv6 Ready: Yes
    ADSL2+ Support: Yes
    VDSL2+ Support: Yes (up to Profile 30a) + G.Vector (FRITZ!OS 6.0 Firmware)
xreyuk
Grafter

If you don't mind keeping the two boxes, I have a TP-Link WDR3600 which meets your requirements, and comes in cheaper at £50.
dragon2611
Grafter

I think You're not supposed to replace the modem on an engineer installed setup, but providing it's not causing an issue for the network it's unlikely they'll actually do anything about it if you do...
I managed to get my hands on another HG612 from someone I knew who had FTTC then moved, So I've reflashed that one so I can get the line stats.etc and that's the one I use normally, but I've also still got my original unmodified Openreach Supplied HG612 in a cupboard so that if I get a line fault I can swap them over so they can access it.etc and can't then blame it on me messing with the modem. (I think i disabled their remote management on the unlocked one, can't actually remember)
My Advice is if you do buy your own VDSL modem, stick the openreach supplied one somewhere you can find it then if you get a problem stick it back on the line when you raise the fault.
karimoum
Dabbler

All ISP supplied routers are pants, (sorry plusnet, I love you for the fast speeds and price though).
Even the brightbox/homehub aren't great they both have thin copper printed on antanne on the circuit bot as opposed to external antennae which will give you better range.
Get yourself a good aftermarket router ands they will have plenty of decent featues - provided you are technical enough to set them up and configure them.
I have a tp-link archer c2 which I bought as a "warehouse deal" at £35. It's quite rangey, and has 5ghz and 2.4ghz.
Though do look out for used archer d5 on ebay. I missed one at auction that ended for £25 - should have bid higher as it's pretty good and much faster than c2.