cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Download speeds - what should I expect?

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

Fibre Download speeds - what should I expect?

Hi, was downloading a game and it was downloading at 3 MB/s per second on a line that speed test by BT gives at 24mbps.

Steam is downloading at 2.5MB/s

Is this what I should be expected for my line? Im on Unlimited Fibre Extra

I understand Mbps and MB/s are different, I was wondering whether the speeds i was getting were appropriate for what im paying and the lines i have.

PC is directly plugged into router which is directly plugged into main phone socket.

Cheers

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre Download speeds - what should I expect?

Hi @AndyinBrum,

Based on the information you've provided the download speeds are in line with your throughput speeds, but the throughput speeds you're receiving are lower than what they should be, and below the minimum guaranteed line speeds we advised.

I've raised a fault on your service here, before we go down the route of an engineer under the minimum speed guarantee can you confirm that there's no extension cabling in place, and would it be possible to get a speed test with the router plugged into the engineer test socket. The test socket is located behind the faceplate of the master socket and can be access in a number of ways depending on the master socket type you have. If you're unsure how to get to it please feel free to provide us with a picture of the socket and we'll be able to advise better. 

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

this is the socket its plugged into

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

also, ethernet to router, direct cable to socket, new microfilter installed when router arrived

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

wifi to router via iphone 17mbps

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @AndyinBrum,

I have updated the fault ticket, please click here to view my response.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team