cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Download Speeds of 18mb

knockyoak

Fibre Download Speeds of 18mb

Hi,
The maximum I can get with my Plusnet fibre is a download of 22mbs, am currently getting 15mbs.  Am paying the same price for fibre as other people who are getting double the speeds, surely plusnet should take this into consideration for customers like myself and offer cheaper prices  Grin The line also drops and am constantly being moaned at by the kids and wife that the internet has gone down again.  Anyone else on fibre who has similar speeds to myself and has intermittent connection problems.
cheers
Pete
4 REPLIES 4
hevans
Grafter

Re: Fibre Download Speeds of 18mb

Same here for the last few weeks, it has been good and once got 48mb / 20mb down/up but got slower and slower. Last few tests were down to 32mb / 14mb up and constant disconnections but been told nothing shows up on plusnet's end. Just got a new router and speed is bloody worse ! (22mb down/12mb up.)
knockyoak

Hi Hevans
I know its frustrating....I got rid of sky broadband because of poor connection issues and my son nearly in tears because we had constant connection issues especially when he was trying to do his homework. I thought my ears would be rested by going to Plusnet especially with fibre but am starting to get de ja vu....the mrs has even started texting me in work to say the internet has gone down again....the plusnet honeymoon could becoming to an end shortly Undecided
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@knockyoak
Given you had issue with your previous supplier too, the problem may lie with the phone line. Have you tried the noisy line test http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml#lineQuality
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: knockyoak
Am paying the same price for fibre as other people who are getting double the speeds, surely plusnet should take this into consideration for customers like myself and offer cheaper prices  Grin
They can't - they buy the service off BT and BT do not offer speed related pricing and it's unlikely that BT will until we all move to true fibre. The cost to BT of providing a data connection over copper pair actually increases with longer/slower lines. It's not a big increase but:
* It requires marginally more power to push the signal further.
* Longer lines are slightly more likely to suffer problems than shorter lines (especially in rural areas where lengths of cable may travel above ground).
The cost of the equipment at the exchange or cabinet is the same whether it's subsequently used for an 80Mb/s connection or a 20Mb/s connection.
In practice the difference is probably too slight to matter but reducing the cost of lower speeds would be a problem. Those on higher speeds would have to pay extra to compensate for the revenue lost from longer lines. An additional problem is that it would make longer lines look less economical so the most likely response would be to decline to provide any service at all on longer lines.
The real cost of an internet connection is the data transport, rather than the connection itself. The amount you use is a factor but the biggest factor is when you use it. A 20Mb/s connection running flat out between 7pm and midnight is more 'expensive' to an ISP than an 80Mb/s connection running flat out between midnight and 7am even though the latter will transfer more data. Bandwidth costing is a funny thing - as speeds go up cost usually goes down. That's because most users don't run their connections flat out and the higher speed means the connection is active for less time. It's like luggage. It's easier to deal with one hundred 10kg bags than it is to deal with five 200kg bags.