Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Downgrade

noodlesuk
Fixes: 1

Fibre Downgrade

Hi

The quite Rural area I live in seems to have just been fibre enabled. I currently get 6-7mb on my standard PlusNet broadband and am tempted to upgrade to fibre, with estimated speeds of 38mb. If I find that I get no where near these speeds, does anyone know if I can switch back to standard broadband? From searching the forum, it seems you can switch in between Fiber packages, within the member centre, but wonder if this is possible from fibre to standard. Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Fibre Downgrade

Welcome to the community forum @noodlesuk

If you were to upgrade to fibre and the speeds were low, we would have to go through the faults process in the first instance to try and resolve this for you, if after the faults process had been exhausted and the speeds were still below the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MAGLS) we would look to write off the contract and you would be welcome to move back to ADSL if you wanted to.

Regarding MGALS:

Chris wrote:
The MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) is based on the bottom 10th percentile of customers within a speed range, the highest value of this is the MGALS.

So as a quick example, if the low end of the estimate is 3Mb/s, the MGALS is 2.17Mb/s.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi,

When you go to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ what speeds does it come up with?
Thx ms
noodlesuk

Thanks for the info.

@MrSilver DSL checker shows similar speeds , so PlusNet figures seem plausible. Nice check.

@HarryB thanks makes sense.

Will go for it I think
noodlesuk

New router arrived and all installed, been running for a few days. Speed hasn't changed much, download 5-6mb/s and upload has increased from 0.6 to around 0.9mb/s. Do I have to wait for the change to be enabled at the next billing month? All communication from Plusnet implies the change is complete.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies for any confusion caused by the notification that was sent on 06/01/17 advising you're now on fibre. Unfortunately you're not yet.

Your order does seem to be progressing fine, however it's not actually due to complete until 11/01/17, so you shouldn't be waiting too much longer now for those fibre speeds.

Thanks for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
noodlesuk

Thanks for the clarification, was worried It was already enabled, will wait a couple of days. Cheers!