cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Confusion - Openreach Box Required?

bazzer
Pro

Fibre Confusion - Openreach Box Required?

When I upgraded to Plusnet Fibre a BT engineer attended and fitted an Openreach box which connected to my telephone socket via a RJ11 cable and an ethernet cable from the LAN1 socket on the Openreach box to my Netgear N600 router.
My brother, who is also with Plusnet, upgraded to fiber but they have not fitted an Openrech box but have said that it's not required and that he can connect his router directly to the telephone socket that he uses for his current (or what was) internet connection.
Is this correct as I've given him my Netgear N600 as I no longer use it but assumed at the time that he had the Openreach box which he doesn't. How does he get connected?
Thanks for your help.
12 REPLIES 12
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre Confusion - Openreach Box Required?

If he has a VSDL router then he does not need the Openreach router. Most ISP's these days provide a VSDL router, Plus Net the Hub one, BT the Home Hub 5.
It does not sound as if your router is VSDL, so he will need to get something else, at the very least an OR modem.
Tempting
Grafter

I had PN fibre installed this week and the PN 'hub one' which was supplied connects directly to the wall outlet (through a microfilter) into the 'DSL' socket on the router.
There is obviously no need for the additional Openreach box anymore, and I assume this method was used before PN used the 'hub one' router. maybe someone more qualified can confirm?
[edit] cross posted[/edit]
bazzer
Pro

Thanks for your replies.
Clearly there has been a change as I had BT come round to fit an Openreach modem which then connected to my Netgear N600. I've never had a Plusnet router so maybe that's why they had BT fit the Openreach.
So, just to be clear, he will use his existing router (if it is a VSDL) and connect this to the supplied "Hub One". He hasn't received this hence why I though he could connect to my Netgear N600.
If you look at the Plusnet install guide it does reference the Openreach modem: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/plusnet-2704n-fibre-setup-guide.shtml
These instructions also refer to a BT engineer attending and fitting an Openreach modem?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

He is likely to have problems if he tries and connect the netgear to the Hub One, as the IP addresses will be the same, there are a few ways around this.
he can either just use the Hub One if he is getting one, or get an openreach modem from ebay or similar sites.
Which Netgear router is it? You may find the Huub One is a better router!
Tempting
Grafter

Quote from: bazzer
So, just to be clear, he will use his existing router (if it is a VSDL) and connect this to the supplied "Hub One".

No, the 'Hub One' connects directly to the telephone wall outlet. The 'Hub One' has a built in four port switch for connection to CPE via a LAN cable and built in wifi on 2.4 & 5GHz bands.The 'Hub One' is the modem & router in one box.
bazzer
Pro

OK thanks - I'll tell him to wait for the Hub One.
It is confusing that the Plusnet install guides are referring to the Openreach modem and, additionally, when he spoke with PN support was told that he could go out and buy his own modem to avoid waiting for the Hub One.
Mustrum - It's a Netgear N600 which I assumed would be better than the Hub One as it is a dual band router which I didn't think the Hub One was but reading Tempting's post it is? Things change so quickly though.
mav:quote
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Re the guide, you were looking at the wrong one, the 2704 is not a VSDL modem, so needs the OR modem, the hub one is the one you need http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-setup.shtml
Re the Netgear, is it this one ? I don't think its any better than the Hub one, that said I use a similar model as it gives me better connectivity for my wireless printer than the HH5 I have.
bazzer
Pro

Mav - What part of my post required moderation and why?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

click on the link in the moderation note - it is the bit about quoting the preceding post in full
bazzer
Pro

OK thanks - thought I'd made an offensive remark!
bazzer
Pro

Quote from: Mustrum
Re the Netgear, is it this one ? I don't think its any better than the Hub one, that said I use a similar model as it gives me better connectivity for my wireless printer than the HH5 I have.

Yes it is. Thanks for the link.
Mav
Fixes: 515

@bazzer It's as Oldjim said Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still