cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speeds still low even after line fault cleared?

ChrisGn
Grafter

Fibre Broadband speeds still low even after line fault cleared?

Over the past few months I have been experiencing speed problems (See attached graph generated by SamKnows).

2019-11-19_150922.png

The graph needs some explanation:

From start of Graph (01 September) I was using an Huawei HG612 (3B) with an updated firmware so that I can observe line stats.

Around 18 September I noticed a large speed drop. Examining the line stats I noticed that the Download Interleave depth had changed from 1 to 959. The Max attainable line speed was still showing 55572kbps.

The dip in speed ~16 - ~20 September was caused when I was trying a Draytek Vigor 130. The attainable line speed of the Vigor was lower than the Huwawi with the Interleave depth ~650.

I continued to use the Huwawi, until I suffered another speed drop, where upon I switched to the HubOne.

The dip in speed on 08 November, I initially thought was a new contract mess-up, but my line showed up faulty. Strangely the dip in speed returned the day before the engineer visit.

I had expected some improvement in speed since the line fault was reported as cleared, however this hasn't happened.

Help please.

18 REPLIES 18
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Fibre Broadband speeds still low even after line fault cleared?

Thanks for your post @ChrisGn

We've tested your line and we can see that your speeds have dropped but our tests aren't showing any cause for this.

I'd recommend raising a fault by going here and then posting back once you've done so.

This will allow us to get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrisGn
Grafter

Where is 'here'?  I expected it to be a link..

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Oh dear @MatthewWheeler has not put a link in.

I would suggest you put the HG612 Modem back on the line, it is certainly better than the Hub one and probably the Draytek.

There are some serious speed drops showing, I think you have definitely got some fault going on. Not sure how you raise a fault on the member centre, never needed to do one.😃

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @ChrisGn 

Sorry about that, I believe my colleague meant to link you to http://faults.plus.net Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisGn
Grafter

OK, done that... Fault reported..

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @ChrisGn,

Thank you for getting back to us and reporting the fault. We have raised this to our supplier and will require an engineer appointment. Please can you add your availability here and update this thread so that we can get this picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrisGn
Grafter

I accidentally closed my ticket... (Thanks for not having 'Are you sure'). Is there any way of getting it back, or do I have to go to the process again?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Sorry to hear this happened @ChrisGn, can you update this one for me here and update this thread so I can progress the fault for you.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrisGn
Grafter

OK, I have agreed to the engineer visit and the possible cost implications if there is no fault found..

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @ChrisGn

I've booked the engineer visit for tomorrow 22-11-2019 between 8am and 1pm.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisGn
Grafter

I have had the engineer visit this morning, it was the same engineer that came to sort out the unbalanced cable fault.

He couldn't understand why he had had to return for a low broadband speed as the line tested OK on his previous visit. He did do further tests however and noticed some marginal bursts of errors that was on the fibre side of things, he said he would sort this out at the cabinet.

One thing that became apparent was that he had expected Plusnet to have performed a DLM reset after the 1st fault was cleared.  I also have no idea if the engineer has done a DLM reset, as he sent me an text message to say he had completed the work at the cabinet and that the job was complete, so I had no chance to ask him.

I have done some tests since:

HubOne DSL Line Stats: Downstream 51.04 Mbps, Upstream 9.995 Mbps.

Ookla: Download 41.09 Mbps, Upload 9.35 Mbps.

BT Wholesale Test:

2019-11-22_145805.png

The max achievable download speed has gone up but actual download speeds are still low and have gone slightly down.

I await your thoughts on the issue.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Chris,

We've got you in sync at 51mb/s from our side which is an improvement from when we raised the fault (45mb/s).

Could you confirm that you're still in the test socket (https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242#expose) and that you're running these speed tests via a wired connection with nothing else utilising the bandwidth?

Thanks

Dave

ChrisGn
Grafter

The last tests were done as per my normal setup, i.e. HubOne plugged into master Socket 5C (MK4), Telephone on the end of short fixed extension socket.  PC wired direct to network.

I have just re-done the tests with the same results with the HubOne connected to the Test Socket and the PC directly wired to the HubOne i.e. network totally isolated and no WiFi activity.  All software that could create network traffic (Thunderbird etc) closed.

I have now put the setup back to normal as I can't have the phone disconnected for any length of time at the moment.  Speeds are still the same with the exception that the HubOne now shows DSL Line Stats of download 48.77 Mbps and upload 9.995 Mbps which is hardly surprising due to the multiple disconnects.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @ChrisGn,

What were the speed test results while the router was plugged in to the test socket?

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team