Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed lowered to 28MB/s

LEK
Dabbler

Fibre Broadband speed lowered to 28MB/s

Good morning all,

Since moving into my property just over a month ago and having ported my Plusnet service across, I opted to go from the 38MB package to the up to 78MB package for the sake of a few extra quid.

All was well and the installation went without a hitch & no engineer was needed as I already had the required line installed in the property. As soon as it went live I was instantly able to make use of the full speed near enough (75MB/s is the best I get on it).

However, I noticed that after a few days of being connected - I was experiencing slower download speeds, one particular evening I noticed that it had decreased down to 28MB/s, I didn't think much into it at the time as I presumed that perhaps it may of been a traffic policy in place due to it being during peak hours. Fast forward to the next morning and the speed was the same again, and again the next day etc. After a few days (this was a fortnight after the service was installed), I decided to reboot the router and hey presto - back to normal again at 75MB/s... until the next day, back down to 28MB/s again!

The trend to keeping the connection back up to speed at 75MB's is having to keep rebooting the router every couple of days but I don't want & shouldn't have to do this as you can imagine, and according to the routers control panel that connection itself is always on the 79MB/s band and never at a lower band during the slower periods. Could someone advise on this or could a Plusnet personnel look into this for me ASAP?

Many thanks - Liam.

26 REPLIES 26
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Fibre Broadband speed lowered to 28MB/s

Hopefull one of PN staff will pick this up Wink

If you want you can try the fault troubleshooter https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I had similar, speed dropped significantly, had to have my connection moved to another circuit and that fixed it. went back from 10 to 78!

LEK
Dabbler

Thank you both for the replies Smiley

I'll await Plusnet's reply to this on what looks like to be on Monday now, taking into account that it's the weekend.

P.S. Rongtw - nice rig Wink

Liam.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @LEK

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues. I've tested your broadband and I've not detected an issue:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

Can you run a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com completing the further diagnostics please? It would help our faults team once they pick up your ticket.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
LEK
Dabbler

Many thanks for your reply Anoush,

I will do the speedtest tonight when I get home from work. I suspect that it's still running exactly as it should as it was also the same when I last did a speedtest yesterday (my last router reboot was on Saturday).

We'll see if tonight is any different and I will post the results up.

Liam.

LEK
Dabbler

Evening Anoush,

Just rang the speed test as requested - to my surprise the download speed is 75MB/s & upload speed is 17MB/s as of writing.

I will however do another speed test tomorrow morning to see if the problem returns.

Liam.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Evening.

Happy to hear your speed appears to be back up.

If you get a slow speed, just complete the further diagnostics and our faults team will investigate further once they've picked up your ticket.

*Fingers crossed* however your speed remains stable.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
LEK
Dabbler

As kind of expected this evening... Sad Just done the test and it was also like this when I arrived home from work earlier on at 16:30PM. Any other ideas guys?

Liam.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Compare your latest speed test using the BTwholsale one (that link is further up). If it's as low as that using the BT one then you will get to carry out further testing (after the further diagnostics page) - you may be told to change the BB username in the router menu, all the instructions are shown. The results are available to PN so they can use them to diagnose what might be wrong.

Another thing is, if you're connected via WiFi then try via Ethernet.

LEK
Dabbler

I couldn't get the BT one to run last night for some reason but I've been able to run the test on it this morning, please see the below. I've also tried the internet via ethernet cable and it's still the same.

Plusnet.png

Liam.

DS
Seasoned Champion

At the bottom of the speed test results page, you should see further diagnostics - click this and you should see the results presented in a different way (should be two green bars but your top one may be red - if it is red you should see an additional test to complete. It's the latter test that PN will need

edit to correct a typo

LEK
Dabbler

Just carried this out as well, please see the below:

Plusnet1.png

Liam.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Bottom right, click continue;)

Follow the instructions carefully - any devices will lose their connection to the www during this last test and make sure you note how your username@dsl..... is written as you'll need to switch back to this after the tap test completes.

LEK
Dabbler

Pretty much the same again as well with no other things noted so I didn't bother uploading a photo this time.

This is obviously a problem within my area or something intermittent on my line - could a Plusnet personnel investigate this further?

Many thanks - Liam.