Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed lower than estimated

Spartan_
Hooked

Fibre Broadband speed lower than estimated

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have signed up for Plusnet Fibre Broadband up to 38Mb on 28/10/2017, and I was then presented with the following estimate, with a Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed of 28.9Mbps:

plusnet_estimate.jpg

This is the status of my Exchange/Cabinet:

exchange_stats.jpg

And this is what results on my Plusnet account:

broadband_estimated.jpg

Then the service was activated a month later on 27/11/2017, and I left the 10 days for the line to stabilise (even though I don't think it matters for fibre). This is what my router stats page displays (uptime is 2 days as the line dropped in the morning at around 11am on Friday 8th):

router_stats.jpg

Then the following is my speed test, done from master socket and wired to the router, no other devices connected:

BTW_detailed_test.jpg

Ignoring for now the fact that the speed line is lower than the guaranteed one, is this really the fastest I am going to get? I noticed I have been assigned a profile of 27.51Mbps and wonder if we can do anything to change since my line can afford much more apprently according to the BT Wholesale checker?

I appreciate any feedback received.

Regards,

Spar

(P.S: Apologies for the initial broken message, for some reason I did not have the HTML tab nor the ability to upload images until I posted it.)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fibre Broadband speed lower than estimated

Hi Spar. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems.

The line speed profile should always be slightly under the sync rate, which in turn is set by your router negotiating the speed it sync with at the cabinet (the green box in the road).

The sync rate should fall somewhere within the estimates our suppliers hold for your line. It's possible that your estimates are fairly low for fibre due to the length and/or quality of the line.

I'd run through the troubleshooting here and if you don't see an improvement, please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can further investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spartan_
Hooked

Hello Gandalf,

Thanks for the reply, appreciated it.

I have ran all the steps in the troubleshooting guide, to no avail. When the engineer came to complete the work he told me that, based on the other flats in the same building, I should expect a speed at around 38Mbps (which is what the initial estimate says too).

The building is only 2 years old, brand new and the cabinet is outside, not far from where we live. As I am using a master socket, internal wiring isn't involved and with my neighbours received over 35Mbps (it varies from case to case as not everyone has the same provider) I was expecting the same results from Plusnet.

I have raised a fault ticket with the link you posted the same day I made this post, I have received an automatic email so I am not sure if that is in response to my ticket (it looks like one you'd receive after 14 days of service though, so perhaps unrelated).

Thank you for your help,

Spar

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Spartan, 

I've just sent you a reply to the fault ticket, here's a direct link: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=345891375 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Spartan_
Hooked

Thank you Adam,

I appreciate your help.

Regarding the engineer visit and the £65 fee to pay if the issue is with my internal wiring, can you please confirm the master socket wiring isn't part of the internal wiring? I am using the master socket plug and the router is the one you sent me 2 weeks ago. If the engineer can't detect any fault, will I incur a charge anyway?

I really want to be sure I won't have any surprise as I have barely started business with you.

Thank you,

Spar

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, 

External wiring is everything up to the test socket https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Internal would be the faceplate of the master socket itself and any cabling or extensions beyond that. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Spartan_
Hooked

Hi Adam,

OK cool, thank you - then I can rule out a problem with internal wiring as I am plugged to the master socket.

What about if he can't find any fault, either internal or external?

Thanks,

Spar

gofaster
Rising Star

No. To rule out internal wiring you must remove the front of the master socket and use the test socket that you should find inside

Spartan_
Hooked

Thank you gofaster.

But would that affect my sync speed? The sync speed is lower than the guaranteed one anyway, should be up to Plusnet to ensure I get the minimum, no matter where the fault is?

I'll try with the test socket now, thanks again.

Spar

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

But would that affect my sync speed?

Yes, if there's an issue with the master socket that would affect the line and in turn your synch speed. 

It's a variable in the customer domain which is why we recommend ruling that out before going forwards. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Spartan_
Hooked

OK using the test socket gives better results:

router_stats.JPG

Still not getting the full speed but it's faster than before:

ookla_speedtest.JPG

Confirmed by the BT Wholesale test:

bt_speedtest.JPG

It just annoys me that I lose about 5Mbps just due to internal wiring, I wonder how bad the job was done for this to happen.

So is really leaving the router plugged on the test socket forever my only choice? I don't use landline phones so that wouldn't bother me, it's more that I wouldn't want to leave the socket all open... (The connection via Wi-Fi gets only an extra 1Mbps with the test socket so I am not really gaining a lot more, might as well use the normal master socket.)

Thanks for your support so far guys.

Spar

(I have now added a note to my ticket to cancel the engineer visit as I don't think it's worth it).

Spartan_
Hooked

Double post.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Spar. What kind of master socket do you have? Is the faceplate prefiltered where you don't need to use a microfilter?

If so, you might be able to buy a new faceplate for a relatively small amount of money (we don't stock them I'm afraid).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spartan_
Hooked

It's an NTE5 so I have to open it to reach the test socket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

A lot of master sockets have test sockets behind the faceplate. But not all have prefiltered faceplates.

It's worth knowing because if you don't have a prefiltered faceplate and you've got extension sockets, then the problem might be more than the faceplate - it could be due to the internal wiring between the extensions.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet