cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed getting progressively worse!

ChrisGn
Grafter

Re: Fibre Broadband speed getting progressively worse!

I'd be happy with an engineer visit if I knew that I wouldn't be charged by them saying the speeds are within limits!  That is the whole reason for the post last Friday and the questions below which haven't yet been answered!

As my original fault was reported as a broadband speed fault, then shouldn’t the BT Openreach engineer who cured the Earth fault have also tested my broadband on the premises for correct speeds/operation?

As work had been done on my line, then should there have been a DLM reset done?

Could the problem be with the BT Openreach Modem (Type 1B)?

Looking at the graphs, and IP profiles, it's obvious that there has been depreciation in line speeds, what isn't immediately apparent is that all changes in IP profile since the fault was originally reported have been due to either line disconnection or BT Openreach Modem re-powering.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'd be happy with an engineer visit if I knew that I wouldn't be charged by them saying the speeds are within limits! 

As your speeds are within estimates I'm afraid that we can't guarantee this as the engineer may genuinely find no fault and your line performing at expectations.

As my original fault was reported as a broadband speed fault, then shouldn’t the BT Openreach engineer who cured the Earth fault have also tested my broadband on the premises for correct speeds/operation?

Not always as that was reported to Openreach as a phone fault because line tests were failing as it'd be looked at by a line engineer as opposed to an engineer that's trained on broadband faults.

As work had been done on my line, then should there have been a DLM reset done?

From what I can see you're on the right profile: Profile Name: 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off, so a DLM reset wouldn't benefit you.

Could the problem be with the BT Openreach Modem (Type 1B)?

It's possible, do you have another modem you can try?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisGn
Grafter

Thank you for your reply.

It's looking like I'm just going to have to put up with this, and possibly change my package back to 40/10 when It comes up for renewal.

The BT Openreach modem is the only one I have for VDSL, so I can't rule that out as a possible problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From what I can see we sent you a Hub One a few years ago, can you try that?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisGn
Grafter

I have never had a Hub One router.  I received a Technicolor TG582n router from you when I signed up to Fibre (Late Oct 2014) with BT supplying the BT Openreach Modem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah yeah sorry I see that now.

It's worth noting that if you were to move down to 40/10 you'd actually be on the same package you're on now, as there is no difference between 40/10 and 55/10 in terms of costs.

Happy to send you a Hub One router if you like?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisGn
Grafter

That's nice to know that 40/10 and 55/10 are the same price...

Yes, thank you, it would be very useful if you could send an Hub One Router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, I've ordered one for you now and your local friendly postie should deliver it shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisGn
Grafter

Thank you...  I'll look forward to receiving it.

ChrisGn
Grafter

May I first thank you for the Hub One router. This gave a slight increase in speed over my original BT Openreach Modem. As a matter of interest I removed the cover of the BT Modem and found that all the capacitors on internal switched mode power supplies had expanded. Checking the internal supply rails and then actual values of these capacitors, it’s a wonder how the modem ever worked at all.

Why newer routers supplied by ISP’s don’t have a bridge mode option I don’t know? My master socket is in the most dumbest of places and if I were to place the router next to the Master Socket it would be behind my TV. I therefore I bought a TP-Link TD-W9970 and substituted it in my setup in place of the original BT Openreach Modem. The speeds achieved by the TD-W8970 are equivalent to those achieved by the Hub One router.

With my current setup I am still not achieving the speeds that I once had before the line faults (and BT Modem fault). My IP profile just after I installed the TD-W9970 was 45.94Mbps I haven’t touched my setup for over 27 days and DLM hasn’t changed my IP profile in all that time.

TD-W9970 Status Page.TD-W9970 Status Page.

As you will see from the TD-W9970 status page, the Downstream Max Rate value is much higher than the Downstream Current Rate value and I assume that my IP profile should be higher. The Downstream and Upstream Current Rates have never changed in the 27 day period, also no errors have been reported.

How long should it be before DLM decides to do something? Would a remote DLM reset (Caution counter reset) not help to speed things up here?

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @ChrisGn

Looking at tests from ourside I can see that you speed is currently syncing at 47Mbps. As this sits within the estimates given by Openreach of 40-59Mbps, there isn't much else that we can do from ourside. I have checked the line to make sure that the profile is correct and it isn't banded, which means that your line will perform at the fastest speed it possibly can.

ChrisGn
Grafter

Thats a bit of a Politicians answer.... All you've done is repeat what I already know, and not answered the question!

The point I am trying to make is that the Modem indicates a Max Downstream rate which (in the screenshot) is some 5Mbps faster than the current sync rate. I know that the sync rate will be less that the max rate, but I wouldn't expect it to be by so much!  Also, has the previous line faults and modem faults caused DLM to expect the line to be stable for some rediculous amount of contiguous time, before it even attempts to change the sync rate? (It is now 28 days that DLM hasn't changed the sync rate [either up or down]). This is why I was asking if a remote DLM reset would help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear that.

As my colleague Dean has said your line isn't banded/is on the correct banding, so a DLM reset will add no value.

"Profile Name: 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

Your sync rate may improve or it may not to be honest but there's not much we can do as your line is running within expectations.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet