cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed and static IP

hothotsun

Fibre Broadband speed and static IP

Hi I have the fibre unlimited extra, but my line speed is also low.

I raised a ticket after paying the extra for a static IP and apparently this has been done, but I keep getting a new IP each time and then portal shows a dynamic IP.

Not too happy as a new customer. 

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Fibre Broadband speed and static IP

Welcome to the forum. 

When you say that you keep getting a dynamic IP address does this mean that you are resetting your router? If not then do so as you need to drop the connection and reconnect to pick up the static address.

What speed should you be getting? Put your phone number in here to check https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker. What are you getting if you take the front off your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws, and plug your filter into the test socket, which you will find inside the box? Do a speed test with no extension cables, just an Ethernet cable between your router and a computer. 

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hothotsun

I am getting around 33 mbps. 

I have reset my router, and the IP address keeps changing and it is also still showing as dynamic in plusnet web portal.

I am changing my router to a netgear nighthawk r7000 flashed with DD-WRT over the weekend....That should not make a difference should it ?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 53.8 35 12.3 7.6 32.4 Available -- --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 51.8 32.2 12.1 7 25.6 Available -- --
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Your speed is obviously right at the bottom of the range. However if you are repeatedly switching off to try to change your IP address then this could be the cause of a speed drop. The fibre cabinet DLM system might be interpreting this as a line problem and is reducing your speed to try to compensate.

You should wait for Plusnet to comment on whether your IP address has been transferred to the static service and check if the line has been banded. In the meantime, apart from changing your router if you must, leave it connected for a week or so to see if it recovers.

Your best speed is so close to 40Mbps maximum, I would question whether you will gain anything from paying for the extra option.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @hothotsun, thanks for your post.

On testing your line, I'm not detecting an active connection at all, let alone a slow one!

Can you confirm what you're seeing your end this afternoon?