cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband provisioning

waltdav1
Grafter

Fibre Broadband provisioning

I have the misfortune to live in the GL20 8ES post code area, which is served by BT Tewkesbury Cabinet 11.  We are now just about the only street in Tewkesbury that does not have super-fast broadband, and BT Openreach are adamant that they cannot provide it in the foreseeable future because Cabinet 11 is "incompatible" with fibre broadband.  I have pursued this matter with local councillors and the Tewkesbury MP, all to no avail.

My investigations have revealed that the "incompatibility" is due to the fact that Cabinet 11 is connected by aluminium cables, instead of the more usual copper cable.  It was BT themselves who originally installed the aluminium cabling, by way of an unsuccessful experiment some 25 years ago.  Therefore, the problem is of BT's own making, and yet all residents of GL20 8ES are deprived of super-fast broadband from ANY provider because of the intransigence of BT Openreach.

Can PlusNet not exert any influence on BT Openreach to resolve this problem?  It is not as if we are a remote, rural community.  We are in a densely built-up residential area and all the neighbouring streets have had fibre broadband for a couple of years.  Any assistance from PlusNet would be more than welcome.

At present, I can get better than three times the downstream speed by using PlusNet Mobile to access the Internet, but the cost is prohibitive in comparison with landline broadband.

Walt

3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Fibre Broadband provisioning

Have you been in touch with the local BDUK scheme (Fastershire) to see what they say.

http://www.fastershire.com/

Running a check on the post code you gave and selecting an address at random gives

"Phase 1 has now completed in your area, as your property was not covered it is being considered for phase 2. We are currently in procurement to find a supplier to deliver phase 2 in your area.

Phase 2 Timescale*

• Monday 19 September - Procurement process launch
  • Friday 25 November - Deadline for supplier bids
  • January/February 2017 - Award phase 2 contract
  • 2017-Dec 2018 - Rollout
In the meantime, if you have very slow (less than 2Mbps) or non-existent broadband we can check if you are eligible for an alternative solution via the Better Broadband Scheme, please see below."

Also see what the local council are saying. My cabinet also has incompatible technology (TPON) and the latest word is the Council MAY go out to tender for an FTTP provider.

Brian
waltdav1
Grafter

Hi bmc,

Many thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I have been in touch with Fastershire on numerous occasions but they consistently say it is "not their policy" to consider providing assistance where BT have said it is uneconomic to provide fibre broadband.  They have now stopped responding to my emails and requests for updates.  I will try again and ask them whether, or not, this Cabinet area is being considered for Phase 2, but I doubt that I shall receive a reply.

As for the Council, they say the 10.5 Mbps that we are receiving by ADSL2+ is (just) within the lower limit specified by the Government for "fast" broadband, so they cannot help.

Thanks for your advice anyway.  I'll let you know via this forum if anything changes.

Regards,

Walt

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

One would have thought the BDUK program was designed exactly for those cabinets deemed uneconomical. However, it could be the cost, even with a BDUK contribution, is considered too great.

It could be speculated that a download speed of 10.5 Mbps also counts against you. I would suspect a great many people would k*** for that. What money there is may be being directed towards those who are worse off.

You can but hope Phase 2 offers you something in the fullness of time.

Brian