cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband only had connection with you for 3 weeks and connection keeps cutting out HELP HELP

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Fibre Broadband only had connection with you for 3 weeks and connection keeps cutting out HELP H

Many apologies for the delay. As your router is under warranty, we wouldn't usually replace it unless proven faulty by an engineer.

If you've tried the test socket, the next step would be to arrange an engineer appointment.

I've updated your fault ticket, let us know once you've replied and we'll get it booked in.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chrispeach1
Grafter

Re: Fibre Broadband only had connection with you for 3 weeks and connection keeps cutting out HELP H

Extremely frustrating last night

Router went from blue to orange about 20 times

Iv been watching Netflix this morning for over an hour and no disconnection yet

Why is it only happening at night? It must be a problem with your service / servers I don't think I have a choice but to cancel this contract with you can you please refund me as Iv paid £33.99 this month for awful Internet
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies for the continued problems.

The offer for an engineer is still on the table; it looks like the fault ticket may have been accidentally closed. If you are happy for an engineer appointment please raise the fault at http://faults.plus.net and I will work the ticket again for you.

As for your request for an engineer to visit at the weekend, the time slots are weekdays I'm afraid. We are occasionally offered Saturday timeslots, however, checking the availability with our suppliers on your fault, only weekdays are showing.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Anoush  As your router is under warranty, we wouldn't usually replace it unless proven faulty by an engineer.????Huh

So do PN send engineers out to check router faults ????  BT/OR dont test them .

what normally happens is PN send out a replacement , or has this changed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@chrispeach1 wrote:
It must be a problem with your service / servers

No. Problems with Plusnet's servers or network would be affecting more users than just you and that would cause this forum to go into meltdown from all the complaints. It actually sounds like your router is losing sync (disconnecting) from time to time. That means it's an issue with one or more of:

* Your router.

* Your telephone line.

* Your internal wiring.

* The DSLAM.

The only one of those that PN is directly responsible for is the router (and other routers are available if you want to use your own).

I don't think I have a choice but to cancel this contract with you can you please refund me as Iv paid £33.99 this month for awful Internet

My above comments are not meant as a 'fob off' or an excuse for the poor service you've had so far. The reason for making them is to warn you that of those four things changing your ISP will only change the router and that is the least likely cause of this problem.

What I'm getting at is that right now you have an ISP that is willing to help resolve these issues using industry standard processes. If you switch ISPs you will just be delaying the resolution because PN will probably withdraw their offer of an engineer and you will be no better off when you eventually arrive at your new ISP.

Also (very important this) do NOT cancel your account. If you do that you risk incurring additional charges and an even longer delay moving to a different ISP. In the worst case scenario you might even lose your VDSL connection and have to use ADSL until more capacity is available. If you really want to switch do so by placing an order with an ISP and let them talk to Plusnet.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@rongtw wrote:

@Anoush  As your router is under warranty, we wouldn't usually replace it unless proven faulty by an engineer.????Huh

So do PN send engineers out to check router faults ????  BT/OR dont test them .

what normally happens is PN send out a replacement , or has this changed

We would only RMA a router if it is proven to be faulty. We don't arrange engineers just to check routers. We arrange engineers to investigate a fault. If the router turns out to be the cause, if it is under warranty we would replace it.

chrispeach1
Grafter

Can you please clarify why the internet was working fine all this morning but last night it disconnected 20 times.

If the problem is fixed then good! However I am fearful that when I am at home tonight using the internet I will get the same disconnections as I have been having for the last month. This indicates a problem with the PlusNet server surely?

When the engineer attended my property on Friday 11th November he fitted a new wire to the outside of the building - could this be the fault? Ie was this not done properly when he installed the broadband? If you want to arrange for an engineer to attend to check this that's fine but as it is within my property boundary I don't see how I can be liable for a cost for something which it was your engineer that replaced on 11th November.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

If you've done the checks on your side, and the line is still disconnecting as per:

image14812820137326

then the next step would be to arrange an engineer appointment.

You're not liable for the line outside, however, if the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works then the charge would be applied.

chrispeach1
Grafter

Well then yes please arrange for the engineer to attend ASAP and I will make arrangements.

Can you please also send a router out just to eliminate this problem of possibly being a faulty router.

Will I be compensated for the [-Censored-] internet service received so far?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

If you would like an engineer appointment please raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as your previous ticket has been closed on the Member Centre.

Once you have done this, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to work your ticket again. As I previously advised, we wouldn't replace the router unless proven faulty.

We will also be happy to refund your broadband subscription charges from the point the fault was reported to us.

chrispeach1
Grafter

I raised the fault hours ago and it said a new ticket had been opened. I have just done another and this was the same confirmation:

"Thanks, you've given us all the information we need to investigate your problem

A Ticket has been raised to our Faults Team with these details. We'll contact you as soon as we have more information and let you know what happens next.

In the meantime, we'll run some more tests on your telephone line over the next 24 hours.

You can help us by:

1. Leaving your equipment plugged in and switched on.
  2. Making sure you've given us a contact number we can reach you on. If you've given us a mobile number we'll text you to keep you updated.

Please contact us if you need to provide a different contact number, or if there's any change to the problem you're having."

Just to clarify - if you have said the engineer WILL NOT test the router then how will we know it is faulty after their visit? I really don't see how it is unreasonable for you to send another router to me otherwise further delays will occur.

On 11th November when installed the engineer certainly did not stay around too long after connecting the internet - he wanted nothing to do with the router I had to set it up myself!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hmm, the ticket hasn't come through. Leave this with me, I'll look into it.

The engineer will investigate the fault. If as part of the fault investigation the router is proven to be faulty, we will RMA it under its warranty period.

chrispeach1
Grafter

Okay so just to confirm the engineer WILL test the router and if it isn't working he will have a spare one with his equipment and can provide a new one

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

No !! The engineer will not test the router , he will test your line .
And will not have a spare router
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@chrispeach1 wrote:

if it isn't working he will have a spare one with his equipment and can provide a new one

No, he won't. The engineer works for openreach which is a completely different company to Plusnet. He won't even be interested in talking about your router. If the engineer doesn't find any fault Plusnet might decide to send you out a replacement router.

But I think you should forget about the router. It remains a possible cause but an unlikely one. The problem is almost certain to be your telephone line or your internal wiring. Have you followed the fault guide and eliminated your internal wiring as a cause? Here is a working link explaining about test sockets.

In situations like this there's often a tendency to make assumptions and to fixate on something. Resist that temptation. If you haven't already carried out the instructions in that guide you should do so. There are no shortcuts to fault finding.