cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband disconnecting daily

davbro63
Hooked

Fibre Broadband disconnecting daily

I am experiencing random disconnects in the G33 2QG area for no apparent reason.

I have rebooted my modem and router to no avail.

The disconnects were around 1-2 per day until yesterday when there were a total of 24 disconnects over a 24 hour period.

Today (18/04/2019) it is now up to 8 so far (1313 hours)

Is there a known issue in this area or some other change that can be made to improve the stability of my connection ?

11 REPLIES 11
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Fibre Broadband disconnecting daily

Hi @davbro63,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. I've checked your account today and I'm not seeing any consistency behind any drops in connection. Upon inspection I can see that the connection has dropped around 3 times today, though based on your post I believe these drops are more likely due to router reboots than genuine drops in connection.

On that note, I'd like to ask a couple of questions to help narrow down where the issue lies - Firstly, please could you confirm if this is occurring across multiple devices? Secondly, please could you confirm if these devices are connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cables?

As a side note, upon testing your line today I received a result requesting we raise a fault for further diagnostic testing. I have raised this to our suppliers as a fault, as per a ticket I've raised on your account here, though I believe that this is unlikely to be related to the issue you're reporting today as the test itself shows everything to be working within the expected parameters. If you have any further queries about this then please don't hesitate to ask as I will monitor this until we receive a further update regarding this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
davbro63
Hooked

Alex,

I have a monitor application running in the background that pings Google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8 every minute and then logs any issues with just the connection part of the ping. This is from an (internal) server that is connected over Ethernet.

The disconnection impact is experienced on all devices (WiFi and Ethernet)

2 of the logged drop outs for today relate to my modem (DrakTek Vigor130) and Router (Synology RT2600ac) reboot, however the rest are genuine.

It appears to be something new - the previous month shows, on average, 1.5 drops per day, maximum of 3, minimum of zero per day. - that has risen now to 24 drops yesterday and now 11 drops today (as of 1520)

David

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @davbro63,

Thanks for getting back to us with this information. I've raised a further response regarding this matter via the ticket I'd raised on your account earlier. For reference, this can again be viewed here.

Please let us know if you have any questions concerning this and we'll be happy to assist further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
davbro63
Hooked

There was a support call noted which stated:

"As such, at this stage I would recommend keeping an eye on the connection again from your end of things for next couple of days. If further drops seem to still occur then please let us know as soon as you're able to so that we may pick this back up for further investigation."

I have had 7 drops today, one at 1511 that lasted for 33 minutes.

Can I be advised if this is an exceptional issue or is something that is likely to recur ?

Thanks,

David

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @davbro63,

I'm sorry to see that drops have continued to occur. As this is the case, we'll need to arrange for an Openreach engineer to come out and investigate the fault further and I have updated the ticket on your account regarding this. Please let us know once you've been able to respond to the ticket and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
davbro63
Hooked

The Engineer came out yesterday around lunchtime - reported no problems evident.

For the remainder of yesterday I has 2 very short drop outs at 1500 and 1800, both of around 1 minute each.

Then today from 0119 to 1139 (so far) I have has 98 separate drop outs of duration of 1-2 minutes each.

Is there is any known work on-going in my area during this time that may have impacted my service ?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @davbro63 

Whilst I can't see 98 drops, I can certainly see that things are not right; 

Having said this - my tests are not throwing up any faults or errors at all. 

Can you confirm how you are currently set up? Are you in your test socket? 

Thanks, 

MoR

davbro63
Hooked

I am using a DrakTek Vigor 130 VDSL2 modem and Synology RT2600ac router.

Both have worked fine with no issues reported by both.

The '98 drops' I reported is those that lasted 1 minute or more - I have seen drops of less than one minute occurring and not being logged so the number may be higher.

The 0400 drop on Sunday 28/04 should be ignored - my modem is set up to reboot at this time every week .

The log entries I have from the last few days are below, entries are <time> (duration in mins):

Drops20190419-20190428.jpg

I hope the above is of some help

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @davbro63

Thanks for coming back to us.

Given that we're not seeing the frequency of drops that you're describing and given that you've already had an engineer who has confirmed that there are no fault with the physical connection, I'm more inclined to believe that this may be router related.

Did we ever provide a router to you when you opened your account? Do you have an alternative that you can try to help narrow this down?

I can see that @TheMightyAJ has taken ownership of this for you and I'll flag this with him so that he can pick this back up for you tomorrow to get this progressed one way or another. If you do have the opportunity to try another router in the interim, that would be really helpful.

Best wishes

Dave

davbro63
Hooked

Thanks for your response.

I did not receive a router from PlusNet as I elected to use my own equipment.

I have reviewed the Synology forums for any similar known issues around the RT2600ac and based on previous reports have:

• Disabled the 'Safe access' application. 
  • Disabled IPv6

This was done around 1600 yesterday and so far there have been no reported drops (now 1355)

I will monitor

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for the update @davbro63 

Let us know how it goes in a day or so. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR