cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband cutting off at the same times, every evening.

Ultraviolet
Dabbler

Fibre Broadband cutting off at the same times, every evening.

Our router disconnects for 5 mins at regular times throughout the evening. We have had the issue since 21st June when we first joined Plusnet... and it's really becoming a nuisance now.
The settings have been checked and it's all fitted correctly. How do I get Plusnet to sort this out?
30 REPLIES 30
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre Broadband cutting off at the same times, every evening.

Hi there, 

I've just been testing your line and we're not seeing any obvious causes for the drops but it would still be best to go through some troubleshooting just to rule out any possible causes at home as your next step:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If they don't help it would then be best to report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net I've included a graph below of the disconnections:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
klemm
Dabbler

Come on plus.net, this looks very similar to my to my connections drops.  What the heck is going on at 11pm every-night or on the hour?

I can see a pattern even if you can't.  "Plus.net" + "FTTC" + "23:00" = Cry  

That said BT eng has 2nd visit today and found a fault at the cabinet, they are replacing some cards because there are no spare lines.  

This '11pm' drops does still seam to be very common.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @klemm,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing similar issues, though I would say that it's unlikely that it's the same thing causing the drops. Having reviewed your fault today it looks as though there will be further work required, though we haven't been provided a timescale as to when this work would be carried out at this stage. I can see this is currently with our faults team and that they will provide a further update as soon as one is available, however if you have any further queries then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Ultraviolet
Dabbler

Oh, the irony! whilst placing my complaint with the technical team the internet went off at ten o'clock as usual!!!

Come on Plusnet! this appears to be a consistent problem with many customers and needs addressing before you lose business!!  

SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING MOVING BACK TO SKY 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Ultraviolet,

I'm sorry that your connection is dropping and for the inconvenience that this is causing. Thank you for running through the troubleshooting checks on your side and for reporting the fault to us. I've tested your line and unfortunately the test still isn't picking up the cause of this problem from here:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-27T10:46:38Z 2019-07-27T11:01:38Z
Ingress Code Violation 3 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

It's likely that we'll need to arrange for an engineer to visit your property so that this may be investigated further. However, I can see on the ticket you have mentioned that you can make calls from your landline but people are unable to call you and I'd like to look into this a bit more first. When people call your number, does it sound as though it's ringing to them but there's nothing on your side or is there an engaged tone or another tone?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
TimandEdith
Hooked

Ultraviolet, we get the same thing here. In addition to the Hub One router not giving us any wfi connection at the back of our (small terraced) house.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @TimandEdith,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that the wireless signal issue is causing you. Please can you confirm whether you've tried swapping to the BT router as per the suggestions on your thread here? If so, did this improve the connection at all?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
TimandEdith
Hooked

Hello Emily, we no longer have the BT router, we disposed of it when the Hub One arrived. Out of courtesy I thank people for their help but in our case it isn't possible to try the suggestion Mav made. From what I have gathered reading up on it over the last couple of days, the Hub One router is a cheap model based on an outdated BT router design. I'm still astonished that we can only load webpages at the back of the house by using mobile data on a smartphone. No internet access with PlusNet at the back of our small house, it's incredible.. in 2019!! All you get is the endless message 'Scanning for wifi networks'. In the end I'll have to just bite the bullet and buy a proper router with strong enough antennae, TP Link or similar. But it really is disappointing.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @TimandEdith 

Not really confident at this stage that we can say the Hub One is materially faulty or not working at all for you which needs to be replaced. Your broadband connection is definitely dropping as opposed to the WiFi issues you're reporting here:

http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image15643883355474.png

If your router is plugged into the master telephone socket as explained Here can you get a fault reported to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know once you've done this please? We'll then arrange an engineer to investigate further.

With regards to any poor WiFi signal you're experiencing within your home, are you not able to try the steps advised Here?

For clarity, the steps I'm referring to are desyncing the wireless frequencies.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ultraviolet
Dabbler

HI, An engineer has been and tested the lines and also our internal setup. He Found no faults but agreed that there must be an issue and it will lie with Plusnet themselves. Even the engineer couldn't understand why we were having regular cut-outs throughout the evening on an hourly basis... Come on Plusnet. I've seen a few complaints on here similar to mine...we cannot all be running from the same junction box!! This was NEVER an issue with Sky. I cannot even receive incoming calls to our landline., yet we can ring out with no issue. The engineer also looked into that and again found the engaged tone when calling into our line. He stated that there doesn't appear to be an issue with the lines, however, He stated that there definitely IS an issue and It needs to be addressed by Plusnet.

Seriously, we can tell the time by the fact that all family members leave their rooms to make a cup of tea, due to the internet being down!!!!

Furthermore, Plusnet had the cheek to remind me that my bill was overdue during this ongoing issue. I've only been with you a month and I'm disgusted by the lack of customer service as you are in breach of contract due to not providing the services detailed. Not even compensation for our daily interruptions... Really Dissatisfied with Plusnet and regret leaving SKY    

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@TimandEdith 

Before you rush out and by a super dooper router/modem (like I did), consider getting a mesh system

I now have good coverage in the required bits of the house, using three units.

The one I use is the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi  ( I know, I hate BT with a passion, but just once I have got something that works!!)

Mine cost 179 quid from that well known sell everything store with the large catalogs and tiny pens, other places may be cheaper.

The mesh is not a router so plug one unit into the plusnet router (turning off the router wifi) and then follow the instructions.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Has no one picked up on the fact that you state you can't receive incoming calls?. Maybe this is a misjumper issue?
Ultraviolet
Dabbler

Nobody is actually doing anything about it at all. It's all superficial customer service with such quick responses, to appear helpful...Yet the problem still persists daily from 9 pm. No actual resolution has been attempted by Plusnet. I have never known such lack of service!  

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Ultraviolet 

. No actual resolution has been attempted by Plusnet. I have never known such lack of service!  

I can assure you, we are taking the steps required to locate any faults or issues with the circuit this is why we sent out an engineer, however, I'm sorry you are unhappy with the level of service which you are getting. 

I have retested the line again (both GEA and WLR tests) and I am not finding any faults which would cause these disconnections. For reference, here is a 7 day RADIUS graph: 

Are you aware of any devices in the household which turn off/on in the evenings? 

Thanks, 

MoR