Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband Speed

FIXED
davneg
Grafter

Fibre Broadband Speed

Hello

My current maximum speed is 25-27 Mbps (confirmed via Plusnet site, BT wholesale test, Fast.com and Which Broadband Tester).

I am relying on copper wire so I am not expecting to reach 66MB with my Unlimited Fibre Extra but I was wondering if it could be improved a little since up to 1-2 years ago I was able to reach 33-35.

Thanks,

David

33 REPLIES 33
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Fibre Broadband Speed

What speed should you be getting? What does this say if you enter your phone number?  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput. What you are giving us is your current speed.

You should not be on the fibre extra tariff with your current speed so something doesn't look right.

You are on a FTTC service which means that the last length of cable between your house and a green street cabinet uses copper. If you live close to a cabinet speeds of 80Mbps are achievable with this arrangement.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @davneg,

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues with your speeds. I've taken a look at your line today and I can see that your estimated speeds range between 55Mbps - 77.4Mbps download speeds, however upon testing your line I can see that something is clearly wrong as the results show us that you are receiving only 30Mbps download speeds.

As this is the case, before we go any further, we'll need to see how the line performs with your Router setup in the Test Phone Socket within the property. To find and connect your Router up to the Test Phone Socket, please click here and you will be taken to a guide that will walk you through this process.

Please let us know once you've got the Router setup within the Test Phone Socket and keep it plugged in there whilst we run further testing from our side to see if this improves the download speeds at all. Whilst we do this, you are of course free to run your own speedtesting on the line to see for yourself if there is any immediate improvement to the speeds. If you would like to do this, you can test your speeds here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
davneg
Grafter

@Baldrick1

I tested and see below.

I am indeed on a FTTC service so I know the maximum speed is not possible as the copper slows it down.

Capture.JPG

@TheMightyAJ 

Instructions understood. Before I do anything, could you please confirm the Router you refer to is the BT ADSL one and NOT the PlusNet modem? Also, if I connect to the test socket, will my internet still work? And last, once done (not sure if I can get round it this evening), shall I just let you know here and wait your response?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

@TheMightyAJ would be referring to the Openreach modem as it's that which negotiates the sync speed to the cabinet.

It should still work but bypassing any internal wiring. You'll need a microfilter though, if you don't have one we'll be happy to send one out free of charge.

If your speeds don't improve it may be worth trying another modem before potentially arranging an engineer visit.

If you would like a new modem/router from us I'd recommend contacting us on 0800 013 2632 as we may need to recontract you to send one for free.

Let us know how this goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davneg
Grafter

Yes - OpenReach (name slipped my mind)

I think I have the microfilter. I will setup and let you know when done.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @davneg

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davneg
Grafter

@Gandalf @TheMightyAJ

Sorry for the late reply but I have now setup my outgoing internet to go from the BT OpenReach modem through the test socket. It works as you can see I am online! Smiley

I tested as follows:

Now, one thing happened that I just remembered. Two weeks ago the cordless phone no longer had a clear and noise free tone. It would ring if someone called and I could dial a number but I could only hear a strange sound. We thought it was the phone since I changed batteries and the issue persisted. We therefore no longer have a landline phone as we never used it and there was no point buying a new one. I know phone and internet lines are on different frequency but I thought I'd mention it in case there could be issue on the line somewhere out of the house.

As always, your help is welcome.

davneg
Grafter

@Gandalf @TheMightyAJ

My internet is now going through the test socket. I re-ran tests and there is no change: it is always around 28 Mbps on both BT Wholesale SpeedTest and also Fast.com. I attached the BT Wholesale screenshot. The ADSL checker also gave the exact same results as shown in the screenshot provided a few days ago.

Capture.JPG

One thing I remembered is that a few weeks ago our cordless phone no longer had a clear and noise free tone. The phone would ring and I could dial a number but I could not hear voices or hear the line ringing. I changed batteries but the issue persisted so I thought it was the phone and threw it away. We did not replace since then as we no longer use a landline phone. Internet was not affected and I know they work on different frequencies so maybe this is not related but I thought of mentioning in case there may be a wider issue down the line out of the house. Or maybe not.

davneg
Grafter

@Gandalf @TheMightyAJ I posted twice yesterday with some feedback but my last post gets deleted each time automatically...

davneg
Grafter

Posting a 3rd time...

I am now using the Internet through the test socket and speeds have not changed (always around 26-28 Mbps).

The ADSL checker has the same identical results. And the BT WholeSale Speedtest is also the same.

Capture.JPG

One thing I remembered is two weeks ago our cordless phones no longer had clear and noise free dial tone. The phone rang if called and I could dial out but nothing could be heard through the line. I changed batteries and because the issue persisted I thought it was the phone. We therefore threw it away and no longer have a landline phone (we never used it so why bother buying one). Now, landline and internet are on different frequencies, and the Internet did not have issues, so maybe this is not related at all or maybe there is a wider issue down the line once it leaves my house...

Looking forward to hearing from you - hoping this 3rd post does not disappear...

davneg
Grafter

@davneg wrote:

@Gandalf @TheMightyAJ I posted twice yesterday with some feedback but my last post gets deleted each time automatically...

OK - there is a bug because my profile does not show my latest post activity but if I go through the main page I can see all 3 posts. Sorry for spamming!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@davneg your posts were just caught in the spam filter (It's hungry this time of year), and one of the mods released them.

Moving onto your speeds, they may be affected by the possible issue with your phone service but as line tests are coming back clear I think we should investigate this as a broadband fault.

I still believe the next step would be to try a different modem if you can. Failing that I'd raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can pass this onto our suppliers and arrange an engineer.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davneg
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf

I no longer have a spare modem to test with.

Should I call 0800 013 2632 to order a new one for free?

If so, do I need to provide a reference of some kind?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah I'd recommend doing that if you would like a new one from us.

You won't need a reference. Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet