cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband Speed Getting Lower and Lower

CJ18
Grafter

Fibre Broadband Speed Getting Lower and Lower

Typically, my connection is generally stable and I get 20-21 Mbps, so not terribly fast but fairly reliable.

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed the speed dropping down to around 18 Mbps and then checking on my PlusNet router revealed that it is apparently resetting itself every 1 or 2 days.  Currently my speed is down to 16 Mbps and for the life of me I don't know why this is happening.  I've raised a question through my PlusNet account but also wanted to post on here for any advice or guidance.

Here's what my router is reporting:

PN Router.JPG

And here is what BT's availability checker shows, I only get speeds at the lower end of the Downstream Line Rate, but I'm not even getting those currently, and forget about getting anywhere nearer the mythical higher end.

BTA.JPG

I'm currently faced with a 20% drop in speed for no apparent reason and would really like to know why this is happening.  Any replies gratefully received.

13 REPLIES 13
sacha100
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Broadband Speed Getting Lower and Lower

Could be a number of things causing the slowdown, how are you connected wifi or lan ?

i see from your router stats you have only been connected for a few hours, is this because of line dropout or because you restarted the router, if you have been restarting the router it could be the exchange throwing a DLM on your line as it thinks the there is a problem with your line.

Best thing to o do is contact support and raise a ticket giving as much information as possible.

CJ18
Grafter

The connection time is since the router last reset itself, I’ve powered it off/on myself once in about the last six months.
I imagine DLM has been applied to the line, but I don’t know why this has suddenly happened.
Grafter

Only two or three month left on this contract and its goodbye. Wend from 40 down to around 25 MEG the past month or so. 

sacha100
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

best thing is to contact support, plusnet is only a provider and it may be that your problem is at the exchange end, changing providers won't fix this problem only open reach can do that.

I know your frustration but as said get onto support and ask then to sort the problem out, that will do everything to help you.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @CJ18, testing hasn't highlighted anything that could be causing the speed loss but can see you syncing lower than estimates.

Have you tried the router in the test socket at all?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
CJ18
Grafter

Hi @LaurenB, I’ve just tried the router in the test socket and the speed was exactly the same, 16.4 mbps.
CJ18
Grafter

My speed is still 20% lower than normal and the router is still resetting itself on a more-or-less daily basis.  I've raised a question with support but had no response.

I'm pretty sure DLM has been imposed on my line by now at a too-low speed (it's below the handback threshold for the line) and will be stuck that way without a reset of some description.

Is there anything else I can do which may help with this problem?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

If your getting the same via the Test socket then that rules out any issue with internal wiring so the problem lies outside, nothing much you can do but await a Engineer visit, Sadly it's a 72 hr wait for Ticket updates god knows why it takes so long just to run a test and to see that your under estimates, anyway hopefully you'll get a response from them soon enough if not one of the forum staff i'm sure will get things moving along for you. 

CJ18
Grafter

Can I have some action on this please.  I raised a ticket with support on Wednesday 31 January, and had no response.

My router is continuing to disconnect on a daily basis and speed is still at 16 Mbps.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @CJ18

Sorry to see you are experiencing problems with your speed. I have updated your fault ticket here, and we will continue to monitor the fault raised until it has been resolved. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
CJ18
Grafter

Thank you @SammyM, looking forward to seeing an improvement soon.

CJ18
Grafter

The engineer visited on Friday and reset DLM on the line.  This led to some speed improvement but since then the line has continued to drop at the same rate (approx. every 1-2 days) and the speed drops every time this happens.  He said at the time the problem may persist and require work to be done on the line or at the cabinet.

I'm awaiting an update on the fault and what will happen next.  Can this be looked at, please?

CJ18
Grafter

Following the next engineer visit on Friday, I was moved to a new fibre port on the cabinet and speed went up to 23 Mbps.  On Monday morning, the connection dropped again and speed dropped with it to 20 Mbps, potentially set to decrease further.

From discussions I have had with both engineers who have visited so far, they have both said the connection should not drop in this manner (i.e. the line appears to cut completely).  There is no pattern to it other than lately it has been every day or two.  Equally, however, they cannot see any obvious faults on the line.

I've updated my ticket with Plusnet and we carry on...