cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband Speed Change With New Router

smuggler2112
Dabbler

Fibre Broadband Speed Change With New Router

I have had a few issues in the recent past, which have meant a few engineer visits. Eventually I was getting the speeds I should be around 44Mb, however I had to purchase a new modem/router as the old TP-Link N600 was starting to get very hot.

I opted for a TP-Link Archer VR2800, set it up and initally to my surprise I synced at 48Mb, without issue for at least 24 hours, however the next day the sync speed had dropped to 40Mb despite my routers Max rate still showing at 46-50Mb, any ideas why this is?

Current stats are below

DSL

Connected
 0 days 18 hours 28 minutes
 VDSL2
 Annex A/L
  Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 9910 39450
Max Rate (kbps) 10218 46077
SNR Margin (dB) 6.2 5.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 35.5 16.6
Errors (pkts) 155 3809
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre Broadband Speed Change With New Router

Hi there, 

Diagnostics don't flag up any issues, I understand you might not want to use it but if you do have the old router still do the stats look any different in comparison to the new one?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
smuggler2112
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Adam, I will try the old router to test, obviously this is not a long term solution. Looking at the line stats I have posted can you see any reason why there is such a large difference between the current and Max rates.

It's not a stuck profile is it?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From testing your line I can see your service is provisioned on 55/10 product.

Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

So that's not capping the sync rate.

It's probably worth trying your previous modem, also the test socket just to rule out any internal wiring issues.

A side note. Can you post up the results of a speed test for us?

I'd like to see what upload throughput you're getting.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smuggler2112
Dabbler

Speedtest results below, I will try the older router shortly.

6736569728.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for that. Apart from the issue you're seeing with the download speed, that's perfect.

Now the reason why I've asked you to do that: The speed profile on your account changed from 55/10 to 40/2 last year after a recent recontracting so I had a feeling your speed may be capped on our side.

From looking at speed test results, it's looking like the speed profile on your account is not affecting your throughput. Thumbs_Up Possibly due to the way your service is routed across our network.

Keep us posted when you've tried your other router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smuggler2112
Dabbler

And my speedtest from Sunday

6727387269.png

smuggler2112
Dabbler

The speed profile on your account changed from 55/10 to 40/2 last year after a recent recontracting so I had a feeling your speed may be capped on our side.

I was told that as I was on the old 40/10 package that I would not be moved to the 40/2 package and would be kept on the new 55/10 profile. The upload speed is important to me.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Strange how the latency has increased, has the SNR or attenuation change since router swap?
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
smuggler2112
Dabbler

Not really mate, always been around the 6 mark for SNR and 16 mark for line attenuation.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

smuggler2112 wrote: 
I was told that as I was on the old 40/10 package that I would not be moved to the 40/2 package and would be kept on the new 55/10 profile. The upload speed is important to me.

Your service is still on 55/10, but the speed profile on your account went to 40/2 when the contract was put through.

Nothing the adviser has done wrong, it's just the way the system works - it's basically reset the profile to the standard speed of the Unlimited Fibre package. However, from looking at your test results, our profile isn't capping your speed anyway.

If that changes, let me know and I'll get it fixed one way or another.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smuggler2112
Dabbler

I have left this for a few days to see if the problem rectified itself, I have also tested my old router and this still show my speeds where the current download rate is 39910 but the max rate is much higher at 46MB, this goes up to between 48 & 50MB on the new VR2800 router/modem.

I have also been in touch with TP-Link directly and they have checked the stats and are adamant looking at the figures that the download speed it set to a maximum of 40MB, but the router can definitely achieve the higher figures. (i know this because previous to last Sunday I was)

Is there anything you can do to help please? Maybe a profile bump to see if this will work?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies I didn't get back to you via PM.

It's not a profile issue I'm afraid.

Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Your downstream sync rate is just low. Sad

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 39.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.9 Mbps

I can see you've called our support team upgrade your fibre package? That's unlikely to make a difference to your downstream speed and from looking at your upstream estimates, it's possible the upload speed won't change either.

Hopefully your downstream speed picks up by itself.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
smuggler2112
Dabbler

It is costing me the same for the upgraded fibre package anyway so that isn't a problem. Hopefully when the new profile starts this will improve the speeds.

Its strange when I last had a BT engineer out he had to reset my line as he said another engineer had set the line to 40/10 which is why my speeds had dropped, he reset it and speeds went back up.

I do wonder wether this has happened again?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I’d doubt it as the profile is testing as 55/10.
But I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet