cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband Dropout

pacificgilly

Fibre Broadband Dropout

Hi Plusnet,

My partner and I have been experiencing drop outs in our fibre broadband very frequently (>10 times per day) over an extended period of time (several months). There seems to be no correlation with time of day nor day of the week. The problem occurs on all devices (e.g. phones, computers, consoles, external storage). The drop out only last a couple of seconds typically and simply resetting your WiFi or LAN connection seems to fix the issue but this is very frustrating that this keeps happening. This issue is more noticeable when connected to a VPN for work. I assume there is an extra layer of complexity for internet loss using a VPN. The internet speed is still strong between dropouts (>50 Mbps Download).

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Fibre Broadband Dropout

Moderators Note.
Moved from broadband to fibre
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Line tests aren't showing any issues and the connection from your router to the cabinet seems to be stable:

Do you notice the light on your router change colour when the connection drops for you?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pacificgilly

Hi There,

I haven’t noticed the lights on the router change during the drop out (I.e. from blue to orange), although I don’t normally check.

We have tried restarting our router on occasions were the internet would repeatedly drop out. For example our connection to our Xbox one console would keep logging us out every few minutes even though Microsoft reported no issues on their end. Restarting the router would fix the drop out issues for a while.

Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do you experience this problem using any devices wired directly to your router using an ethernet cable?

If so please could you login to your router settings at 192.168.1.254, navigate to the Troubleshooting > Helpdesk tab and post up the Event Log?

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pacificgilly

Hi there,

Here are the help desk and event logs. I didn't know how far back to go for the event logs, so here are the first three pages as shown on the Plusnet hub manager page.

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for this @pacificgilly

There doesn't seem to be any evidence in the logs of the external connection dropping.

Are your devices connecting via ethernet to your router?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet