cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband Authentication error

alancs
Dabbler

Fibre Broadband Authentication error

I have recently returned home from a holiday to find that my previously working broadband connection is now returning an authentication error. I have tried with two different routers and am receiving the same error that my Broadband Username or password is incorrect.

I have called the helpline, who were no help! Only advice they gave was to do a factory reset on the hubone router. Believe it or not I did think of this myself before calling the helpline.

I can get a connection when i click to reset the username and if I use my VPN connection, and obviously nothing was changed with my setup as I was on holiday, so how does this happen and why can Plusnet not fix this problem?

I am now waiting 2 days for a call back from support or an engineers to visit to fix the problem! 

13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Fibre Broadband Authentication error

Sorry to hear that.

It looks like the router is stuck in it's automated setup.

Can you follow the steps below?

1) Open a browser
2) Enter 192.168.1.254 into the address bar
3) On the router's home screen, select 'Settings'
4) Enter the password. This is the 'Admin Password for Hub Manager' on the removable card on the rear of the router (it can also be found on the base of the router)Within the 'Settings' menu, select the 'Broadband' tab or 'Enter your broadband username and password'
5) On the following page, you must enter the broadband username and password (There is a 'show characters option on this page if you are struggling with entering the password)
6) Click the 'Connect' button. The power light should turn blue to indicate that there is an internet connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alancs
Dabbler

Thanks fir the response, but you obviously did not read the original post?
I have done this at least 20 times and keep getting an authorisation error, wrong username or password. I have correctly entered both on each occassion but nothing works except when i click reset!
Searching the forum it looks like others have the same problem.
2 days without broadband snd plusnet keep repearing the same, not working, advice.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Can you log into the member centre with your username and password? As I'm sure you're aware, they are the same apart from the @plusdsl.net appended to your user name.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alancs
Dabbler

Yes I can log in to thr site as normal
Baldrick1

Has there been a firmware update on your router since you went away?

Moderator and Customer

alancs
Dabbler

I have not been using the plusnet router. Had to reconnect it after i got the error as i thought the router i use was faulty.
The error happens on both routers
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Can you confirm if you currently have our router connected?

You're still showing as being connected on setup@plusdsl.net.

Can you try resetting the router using the pinhole on the back?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alancs
Dabbler

I am using the plusnet router, also on setup@plusdsl.net as my own details do mot work!!
The connection us dropping every couple of minutes even using the setup username.
I have reset the router using the 'pinhole on the back' multiple times over the last couple of days. Do you have any suggestions that i have not already tried?
Baldrick1

When you used the pinhole reset did you keep the switch closed for at least 20 seconds?

Moderator and Customer

alancs
Dabbler

[-Censored-]! are you seriously asking that question?!

I am sorry but as you can obviously tell I am getting very [-Censored-]ed off being asked the SAME QUESTIONS all the time!

To be clear here...

I was not at home for 2 weeks -broadband working perfectly before going away

I came home and had no broadband - nothing has changed during this 2 weeks, router has been on 24/7

I tried to reset the router I was using - Netgear DM200, much better, more reliable connection than Hubone

Kept getting incorrect username or password error

Swapped to the Plusnet Hubone

Same error

reset  Hubone router multiple times

called plusnet helpline and went through the troubleshooter online

no success - advised to reset router - done this previously but complied again multiple times - no success

Fault was raised and was told that someone would contact within 24-48hrs

No Contact!, No Internet!

Posted the question on the forum to see if anyone else had similar problems

Only replies were to do EXACTLY WHAT HAS BEEN TRIED PREVIOUSLY

I am not stupid, I know how to reset a device, I know how to connect different routers and to check for Internet connection - ihave done it enough over the last few days

The only way I can connect to the internet is to use the Plusnet Hubone router using setup@plusdsl.net and then connecting to my VPN - woohoo success!

The fact that I am getting the same error on 2 different routers and can get Internet via VPN tells me the problem is on your side

I am sorry  but I don't think I am asking too much, Broadband service that actually works as it should?

When will this be fixed, is someone actually working on it?

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The guys on the forum are here to help. They don't know what you have / haven't done, and can only go on the information that you've provided here in your posts.

I note that you're now online with your own username. Should other issues occur, let us know and we'd be happy to help.

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
alancs
Dabbler

Yes this has started working again this morning. Still no contact from plusnet on what the fault was or when it was fixed or even if it has been fixed! 

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

It's not clear what the cause of the problem was. My data only goes back to yesterday, and but it seems likely that changing the username yesterday (or possibly earlier than that) would have resolved it. -Tony

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team