cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Black Friday pricing error on your website needs to be corrected

christucker
Hooked

Fibre Black Friday pricing error on your website needs to be corrected

I'd like to report a pricing mistake on your website.

I was interested to see what Plusnet would offer during the Black Friday period. However the current "Black Friday sale" for the 76Mb package is not a sale at all.

Is there an error on the website? Or is Plusnet grossly misleading new customers by advertising a "sale"?

November 11 packages
https://web.archive.org/web/20171111115309/https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/

76Mb Unlimited Fibre Extra
12 month contract
Line rental
£15 activation fee
£29.99 a month

November 15 packages "Black friday sale"
https://web.archive.org/web/20171115214631/https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/

76Mb Unlimited Fibre Extra
18 month contract
Line rental
£25 activation fee
£29.99 a month

The 76Mb "Black Friday" offering is significantly worse, compared to what was offered before. Can someone please explain why it is called a "Black Friday sale" when it is a worse deal than what was advertised before? The November 11 offering is now £38.50 a month with a higher £25 activation fee. It's the first time I've seen a sale where the price is higher than the day before.

I can only assume that this is a mistake, please can it be corrected as I'd like to see your actual sale offerings for the 76Mb package as I was seriously considering joining Plusnet prior to seeing this mistake.

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fibre Black Friday pricing error on your website needs to be corrected

I knew that the so called "Black Friday Sale" was going to be worthless from Plusnet's own advertising -

which clearly says "NOT REALLY" a sale !

NotReallyASale.jpg

Crazy

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Yes it cheat and conned sales from PN. Best to report it to ASA for misleading black friday deal. On the BT site, they do black friday deal but they add free bt sports for 18 months on it.

paxy
Grafter

oh dear - I thought this was a deal - but thanks to your post now realise that the black Friday deal is worse than the 'normal' sale deal !  I guess  there is nothing saying it's their 'best deal' but I am guessing that's what customers would think.  Not completely transparent or 'good honest broadband'....

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

So Plusnet have moved the offer from the 12-month contract to the 18-month contract. I expect the current offer on the 18-month contract would work out less in total than the 12-month offer plus 6 months at full price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be interesting to see what happens to Plusnet's long contract periods, now that BT Openreach no longer require a minimum 12 month commitment when providing a new fibre connection. 

Other more agile ISPs are likely to go to standard 30 day rolling contracts, and newly trapped Plusnet customers on 18 month contracts and appalling service, will be left fuming and feeling cheated.

Openreach Cuts UK FTTC “Fibre Broadband” Contract Terms to 1 Month

Cool_smiley

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

From the link

However the decision about whether or not to pass this change on to subscribers will remain one for each ISP. Most of the biggest providers tend to tie customers in to their service with longer 12-18 month terms, although this often has less to do with Openreach’s minimum contract period and more to do with being able to offer a longer contract in return for a cheaper price.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
christucker
Hooked

Nibiru wrote:

I knew that the so called "Black Friday Sale" was going to be worthless from Plusnet's own advertising - which clearly says "NOT REALLY" a sale !

Haha, that explains it then Wink

"Not really" a one day sale, but a sale lasting several days, except it's not a sale at all.

goldenfibre wrote:

Yes it cheat and conned sales from PN. Best to report it to ASA for misleading black friday deal.

Well, as it doesn't appear to be a mistake now I will report this misleading "sale", and also to MoneySavingExpert as they're usually on top of things like this. From there, it'll spread to the other sites.

ejs wrote:

So Plusnet have moved the offer from the 12-month contract to the 18-month contract. I expect the current offer on the 18-month contract would work out less in total than the 12-month offer plus 6 months at full price.

Yes, £43.94 less but that's not a fair comparison because the superior 12-month contract would be eligible for a retention deal or provider transfer to a new customer deal after 12 months, therefore costing less overall.

18-month = (29.99 x 18 ) + 25 = 564.82
12-month + 6-month = (29.99 x 12 ) + (38.98 x 6) + 15 = 608.76

Nibiru wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Plusnet's long contract periods, now that BT Openreach no longer require a minimum 12 month commitment when providing a new fibre connection.

Interesting. It would also be interesting to see what happens after this black friday "sale" ends in four days time, will the offering get better or worse? What a mess.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Did Plusnet make any claims saying this is their biggest ever sale, or that these are their lowest ever prices?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I am out of contract now. So, I am free to move away from PN at anytime now. Probably consider switch to AAISP or Pulse8 because I can see PN are NOT the same anymore, it went downhills lately.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@goldenfibre Hi, am just in the process of moving too PN, in what why has it gone down for you?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgilbert2 wrote:

in what why has it gone down for you?

For me, Plusnet removing the traffic prioritization is likely to be the final straw.  Overnight my excellent connection (for 18 years) went to being an utter disaster when more than one user tries to do anything, previously it was astonishingly good at managing extreme loads with four people using the connection simultaneously with bandwidth heavy applications.

I've tried Plusnet's attempt at partially repairing the problem by adding the "Pro Addon", which does improve peak latency slightly, but I still have days when I can't even do basic web browsing for hours at a time if one of my kids is downloading a steam game or watching a youtube video.

If I'm to still be here next year, then I need Plusnet to reinstate full traffic prioritization BEFORE they ruin my Christmas (when the kids are home for three weeks).

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Anonymous I wonder how much of your issues are being caused by the router itself now on the local network, if the traffic prioritisation has been switched off? Which one do you have?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My issues are entirely due to the change in the way that Plusnet send data to my connection, and how that is no longer managed properly.  Therefore the issue occurs before it hits my modem, and my equipment does not factor into why performance is now so shockingly bad.

In my case, the problem is compounded by being a very heavy user on an extremely old 20CN ADSL line.

As I said, before their traffic prioritization was removed, my line worked perfectly, but now it is barely usable.

Angry