Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre BB Speed - IP Profile

wickyb
Dabbler

Fibre BB Speed - IP Profile

Hello

My service says 'Unlimited Fibre Extra Your Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed:67Mb' but BT Speed test says 'IP Profile for your line is - 64.99 Mbps'.  According to my Plusnet Hub it says 7. Maximum data rate: 25687 / 101503

Is there any reason why the profile would have dropped to 64.99 please?  Shouldn't I be getting a little more?

Thanks 😉

5 REPLIES 5
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Fibre BB Speed - IP Profile

The minimum guaranteed linespeed refers to the sync speed of the modem, not the IP profile which is always lower.

This is because of the overheads of running a VDSL line, link management, error correction, retransmission,  etc...  IP profile of 64.99 Mbps sounds roughtly about right for a 67 Mbps sync speed.

Your maximum data rate is much higher because since the modem originally sync'ed the amount of noise on the line has dropped significantly imrpoving the signal to noise ratio.

If I were you I would reboot the modem once and hopefully it will reconnect at the full 80/20 data rate.

wickyb
Dabbler

@mikelahey thanks for your reply - will give that a go in the morning.  

Although I not quite up to speed (pardon the pun!) about the minimum guaranteed speed - surely 64.99 is less that than 67 which is minimum guaranteed ?!

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

If you read the Plusnet small print, it will tell you that the minimum guaranteed speed is not the real world speed of the connection but the sync speed of the modem.

This is the connection speed shown on the router troubleshooting web page (item 6 -  data rate), you can also find your maximum theoretical line speed here (item 7 - max data rate). 

If the number to the right hand of the '/' character next to "item 6  - data rate" is lower than your minimum guaranteed speed then this is fault.

The IP profile is always lower that the sync speed of the modem, this is to allow for the VDSL & PPPoE protocol overheads and prevents congestion in the Internet Service Providers network caused by pushing data down a line faster than it can handle it. 

The actual throughput on a speedtest web site will be lower again as the IP profile does not include the routing overheads of the internet protocol.

wickyb
Dabbler

Just as an update, a reboot returned the profile to 79999 today - thanks.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Glad to hear it's where it should be. Please let us know if you have any further issues.