cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Availability?

Triana

Fibre Availability?

Good Afternoon All, 

Firstly I am very sorry if there are already 500 variants of my question.  I really hope someone can just help clarify what on earth is going on with the availability of fibre in my area. 

General checker for example uswitch - Available in my postcode. 

Any companies specific look up against my address and phone number - Not available in my area

Openreach checker (via address not phone number as it refuses to recognise my phone number) - Available and accepting orders in my area although busy. 

My boss lives 4 doors away from me and as far as we can tell is connected to the same cabinet. He is on BT Infinity so it really very definitely is available in my area. 

Thing is there isn't a single place that is actually telling my why it is "not available in my area" my guess is that it is either something to do with being one of the only blocks of flats on the road, or that it is massively over subscribed. Is there a way to actually find out what it is? I would really like to work this out so I can hopefully find a way to transfer to fibre as my internet speeds are appalling, it's predicted to be 3-5Mb/s although in reality I find that I get between 2 and 2.5. 

Side note - I am currently migrating from Sky to plusnet, my good deal ended and why pay over £10 a month more? 

Triana

2 REPLIES 2
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Fibre Availability?

The BT Wholesale checker is the definitive one to use. ( Although it can sometimes be wrong) The problem with a SKY line is the telephone number is not  recognised so you have to use the address checker which should be correct. I've found the Openreach checker is not very reliable. Try this link ...

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

This should say if there is no capacity at the cabinet which is one of the reasons there may be no availability.

Triana

Re: Fibre Availability?

Well that was a lot of acronyms when I did that search! Thank you for trying to help Cheesy 

In a new development, as of today everything is now saying that I can order it. Spent a good 30 to 40 minutes on the phone to plusnet and got my broadband setup cancelled and a new fibre order in! I might finally have internet that can outpace a snail!