cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Fibre] Anyway to improve ping? Also speed issues.

joanne516

[Fibre] Anyway to improve ping? Also speed issues.

IMG_2537.PNGHi, I've been monitoring my speed since we signed up, as we were promised 64-76mbs with 64mbs expected to be the norm, we've only had 64mbs once and that was after complaining. So I do need to call them again about this I think. But one thing I've noticed is very high ping, as you'll see it's well in the 100s. Does any one have any suggestions on what can be done, or shall I just contact plus net when I get some child free time?

10 REPLIES 10
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: [Fibre] Anyway to improve ping? Also speed issues.

are you testing wifi ? as this will affect your tests .

you will be asked to test via a wired connection Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Joanne, welcome to the community forums firstly.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your connection.

Testing your broadband, your router's in sync at 76.4 Mb/s and I'm not detecting any problems.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 76.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 420.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

As per rongtw, are you using a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
joanne516

I'm using wireless, it's connected to the maim socket and isthe router provided by plusnet, which as I understand it is capable of up to 300mps wirelessly.
So I wouldn't expect using the wireless to have much of an impact on speed. Thoughts are welcome.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You are totally wrong, using a wireless connection is always going to give inconsistent speeds and as for the PlusNet router giving 300Mbps on wireless, it's not going to happen.Sad

joanne516

The hub one specs shows it supports wireless 802.11b/g/n/ac, which would mean it can have a wireless bandwidth rated up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band plus up to 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. (I'm only paying for upto 80Mbps, so i'm not expecting 300 of course.) But for it to only be providing 30 odd most of the time with a strong signal all of the time doesn't seem right to me. As per my log, it has reached the heights of +60Mbps over wireless but only once. I don't have any devices that are in a convenient location to make a wired connection to test i'm afraid.
If your saying their router isn't as good as advertised, are you saying a different one will solve the issue?
Also what's causing the massive ping? 

joanne516

Wireless connections only, as per my other post I don't have any devices in a convenient location to test a wired connection, but given the router specs show it should be capable of much much more than 70Mbps and i'd expect speed to not be affected much by it being wireless. Also what is likely to be causing the ping?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Technically, the "Bridge Tap" test result of "Detected" indicates a problem, which would usually be caused by having extension telephone sockets without having a filtered faceplate on the master socket. The bridged tap doesn't appear to be affecting your speed much. So, does your master socket have a faceplate with a separate socket for the modem/router? Are there any other telephone sockets?

The advertised wireless speeds are always much higher than the achievable speedtest results over wireless because the wireless protocols have very high levels of overheads. Using the 2.4 GHz wireless band, the theoretical wireless rate would normally have a maximum of 144Mbps. The maximum rate also depends on the capabilities of the device you're using to connect to the wireless, which may be less than the capabilities of the router. A smartphone with only a single wireless antenna (known as a 1x1 arrangement) would typically have a maximum 11n wireless rate of 72 Mbps which would give speedtest results of about half that speed.

brookheather
Rising Star

It looks like you are running the wireless test on an iPad - are you standing right next to the router?  Which model iPad is it because earlier models will only support a single stream of 802.11n on 2.4GHz which would give you about 35 Mbps mex speed.  Have you separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands?  If you have are you connected to the 5GHz SSID?

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
joanne516

It's an ipad Air used most of the time, for the tests. so that supports 802.11a/b/g/n, dual channel so should handle up to 300Mbps from 802.11n from what I've read online. Only live in a small house, and tests have been carried out in different rooms, including sat next to router.
Also carried out on tests on my sony Z5 premium which supports up to 802.11ac and the speeds are the same. Sad
I haven't touched the router setting. How would I check which frequency the ipad is using? Assumed it (and any device) would pick the optimum one automatically.
brookheather
Rising Star

You will need to give the 5GHz wireless a different name - this is done in the wireless settings page on the router - add a 5 to the end of the wireless name so you can force a connection to 5GHz on your iPad.

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro