cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Activation Day For Me Today

vibrance
Dabbler

Fibre Activation Day For Me Today

Well, here it is, Fibre Activation Day 20th July. It was originally scheduled for 5th of July but the router had not arrived and was put back until today because of engineer availability problems.

In the activation information from PlusNet it says "You'll receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning advising the product change is complete. I would expect the work to be carried out during normal business hours."

Well, so far no automated email received and my "early hours of the morning" have now passed. Not sure when PlusNet's "early hours" are though, maybe in a different time zone perhaps?

I'm going to report on here how the whole process goes and later point out where a question I asked some time ago regarding the master socket was not answered. So far this has not been an edifying experience but of course, it may yet get better. Here's hoping.

08:28hrs - a few minutes after posting the above I received the automated broadband product change email so that's good, the first step on the path is done.

Now, what happens next? I have found the explanation of the process of moving to fibre to be somewhat lacking. Can anybody enlighten me on what else needs to be done and by whom? Specifically, will an Openreach engineer require access to my property? Do I just wait around all day to see what happens or what?

34 REPLIES 34
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Activation Day For Me Today

Are the fibre lines to either to your house or the cabinet been run,and have both the external and internal ONT boxes been fitted? 

My FTTP installation has not long been completed but it took five unannounced visit from BT engineers to complete the external work, a further two to tidy up the ONT box and cables, and three more to actually get it up and running because work back at the exchange and underground trunking had to be sorted out. I might be wrong on the number of calls by BT but not far off, but for whatever reason it always seems to take them weeks to sort it out. Last year it was easily more than twenty visits over a period of six month to sort out my PSTN line. 

On reflection and given that plusnet are a third party provider, it seems there is little that they can do in order to chivvy BT along other than raise those tickets and trust to luck. One things for sure, fibre may be up to speed but BT are most definitely not.

Hope it all goes well for you, it's certainly made a change here going from less the 5mbs to well over 30mbs so hang in there.Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@vibrance

Is your fibre connection FTTP or FTTC? @Minivanman's response is mostly not relevant if you are having FTTC, but there may still be a need for an engineer to access your property if your master socket has not been upgraded recently. 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
vibrance
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply but my fibre connection is FTTC rather than FTTP. I have no idea what has been run to / from the cabinet!

vibrance
Dabbler

Yes it's FTTC and the master socket does not have a VDSL2 faceplate fitted. I have been unable to get any information from PlusNet on the master socket question. I simply don't know if an engineer visit needs to happen or whether this is a "self install" as far as the master socket part is concerned.

I am simply not sure if I need to buy (and fit) the VDSL2 faceplate myself. If I knew this for sure I would have already have done so.

The vague nature of this process is very frustrating to say the least and must generate a ton of tickets, posts and general dissatisfaction.

maranello
Pro

If a member of Plusnet staff picks up on this thread they should be able to confirm for you if the engineer will need access. 

I understand your frustration at the lack of information.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@maranello

"Minivanman's response is mostly not relevant...."

Sorry, just trying to help and share. Sad

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
maranello
Pro

@Minivanman Sorry from me too, didn't mean it to come across as a criticism of your response. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Unlikely to get an engineer visit, FTTC is self install these days and master socket is not upgraded so you continue to use the ADSL filter. Getting a suitable VDSL faceplate would be a good move.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@vibrance, it may be useful if you take a picture of your current master socket to identify the type. Depending on the type, it may be quite easy to fit a filtered faceplate.

Is your modem/router going to be plugged directly into the master socket? Or is it going to be connected to an extension?

vibrance
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid

Thanks for that. I am ready to get a VDSL2 faceplate but haven't done so to date because of the huge degree uncertainty in this process.

vibrance
Dabbler

@jafreer

I think the current master socket is of the type that allows a VDSL2 faceplate to be fitted although I do need to check this physically.

The router is and will remain plugged into a 5 metre extension which currently has the supplied ADSL filter plugged into it.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What @RealAleMadrid says is good information.

Have you looked at the 'Let's get connected' booklet that comes with the router? That should show how to set things up.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Do you have any extension wiring in the house? i.e. any other phone sockets? If so, a filtered faceplate is a really good option as you won't be sending your VDSL2 signal all around that extension wiring (and obviously no need for microfilters at the extensions).

vibrance
Dabbler

@Browni

Yep, the set up is all good. Been on ADSL2 with PlusNet for years so well acquainted with connection of router / filter / phone etc.