cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 80/20 - unable to stream 4k video without buffering!!

gwiddecombe
Hooked

Fibre 80/20 - unable to stream 4k video without buffering!!

Hi,

I recently signed up to the Fibre Broadband Service with the Plusnet Hub One router. According to the router stats I am connected at the maximum speed 80/20. However, despite this my 4k Samsung TV, laptop and other devices experience buffering issues all the time when trying to stream 4k video, with the 4k TV often having to reduce the resolution to 1080p (e.g. via Youtube) and other devices just buffering . All my devices are very close to the router (i.e. in the room next door) and are showing a strong wifi signal. I therefore do not understand why I am experiencing these issues and can only presume there must be some sort of capacity issue at Plusnets' end?? This is extremely disappointing - my main reason for upgrading to your fibre service in the first place was in order to be able to stream 4k video. Please can someone look into this for me? I have restarted the router although this did not solve the problem. I have posted my router stats below which will hopefully help. Many thanks in advance, Graham.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: [Removed]
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 18:38:15
6. Data rate: 19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 35532 / 90063
8. Noise margin: 15.4 / 8.9
9. Line attenuation: 16.2 / 13.2
10. Signal attenuation: 16.2 / 13.2
11. Data sent/received: 214.2 MB / 2.7 GB
12. Broadband username: [Removed]
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: [Removed]
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2 1
6. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: [Removed]
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: [Removed]
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum.

11 REPLIES 11
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Fibre 80/20 - unable to stream 4k video without buffering!!

Wi-Fi connections are not reliable for anything other than casual browsing. Have you tried an ethernet connection to your TV?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Graham,

My tests aren't identifying any issues. No reported problems at the exchange on our suppliers latest VP report either. I agree with RealAleMadrid. I'd recommend trying a wired ethernet connection to narrow down where the issue may lie.

If that's fine and the issue lies with the WiFi, the next step you could try is changing the wireless channel in your router settings as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Alternatively, you could also look into purchasing powerline adapters which would take WiFi out of the equation.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Some Wi-Fi connections are not reliable etc etc, I'd agree with. I use WiFi for both streaming of Netflix, Amazon etc via the Fire TV and not once has it buffered. Even the desktop PC streams 4K from Youtube via Wi-Fi.

Just wondered if the OP is using 2.4 or 5Ghz for the connection. One thing I have done is set it to use the 5Ghz side at 802.11 ac only (not mixed). Also, not all dongles etc are created equal either, even if they claim 1900 etc. I bought an AC1900 to compliment my TP link AC1900 router only to find it dropping the connection every now and then (sited less than 6 mtrs across the room). I ended up buying a PCI wI-fi card with external aerials and installing that inside the PC. Not dropped since.

But yes, do look at your WiFi setup. There is some good WiFi equipment out there that does allow streaming of 4K very reliably. Certainly run an ethernet cable to find out where things are falling over.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gwiddecombe
Hooked

Thanks all for your replies. I did some speed test results on wired, wireless 5ghz and wireless 2.4ghz and all came back with pretty good results of around 74mbps download speed on each so can't be anything wrong with the broadband itself. Considering the speed test results could this be a fault with the router itself? I split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz lines as I had difficulty casting to the TV (e.g. smartphone not finding the TV via Youtube app when the frequencies were combined together). Tried both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi connections as TV supports both (and tried changing channels) but still getting issues with it trying to maintain 4k quality despite being in direct line of sight of the router (its only a few metres away). Going to see if I can find an ethernet cable long enough to try a wired connection although it is not really a permanent solution to have a cable running across the living room floor. Could powerline adapters give me a better result over wifi?

Thanks in advance, Graham.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Graham, testing on a wire would be a great step to see if that stops the problems. I personally use powerline adaptors and these outperform any wireless connection I've ever used.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

How about this @Chris?

networkspeed.PNG

That's using an Asus PCE-AC88 connecting to an Asus DSL-AC88U in the next room.

gwiddecombe
Hooked

Hi everyone, finally managed to get hold of a wire line to connect from router to back of the TV and it does solve the problems - 4k streaming with no buffering and no connection dropouts (previously when running a youtube video on tv it would stop part way through with 'loading' on the screen and then nothing would happen). Its a bit disappointing that the new plusnet hub one fibre router is not capable of handling 4k video. I would have thought it should be able to do this especially considering its geared up for fibre broadband? Think I will look into powerline adapters as having a cable trailing across the floor is not a practical solution.

Browni - thats a very fast connection you have with that router will have to look into that. Are you able to stream 4k without any dropouts on it?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I use powerline adaptors for my TV and have no problems Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

In my experience Powerline Networking can be as flaky as wireless. It all depends on local conditions. Wireless communications get screwed up by radiated emissions from other sources whilst Powerline units can be similarly affected by conducted radiation caused by other sources such as, I suspect, switched mode power supplies used to power small appliances etc. I have trouble with both. My Powerline Diagnostic software claims high connection speeds but actual throughput is reduced due to errors needing correction. For me finding a route to install Cat5e Ethernet cable solved the problem once and for all. The cable is a small diameter and is low voltage so needs no special protection. Cable length is not an issue in most homes so it is acceptable to use long lengths of cable and literaly go around the house if necessary..

If you can find a route for installing Cat5e Ethernet cable all these troubles go away.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

It may not be the router at fault. Have you tried scanning the wi-fi channels to determine if there is any congestion? Switching off the smart wireless feature helps, as does giving the 2 and 5 GHz networks different SSID's.

I have also found that power line adapters can be problematic. It depends on the topology of your mains wiring and how many sources of noise you have. Different brands can work better than others given the same conditions. I ended up running a cat5 cable for the multicast (IPTV) channels on YouView when wi-fi and power line adapters just didn't work well. Unicast worked ok on wi-fi and PLAs, but multicast is more sensitive to latency variations.

If you have ruled out wi-fi congestion and disabled the smart wireless feature, I think there is a good chance power line adapters will work for your application (unicast in nature). 

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

That's very quick Browni . I use to think 866Mbps was fast for wireless. I've been trying the 8K streaming from Youtube and while there is the initial buffering at the start of the stream, my setup just about feeds it quick enough to stop any further buffering. Dropping it down to 2160p60 (4K), it walks away with the feed with no buffering at all. I wonder if the Asus PCE-AC88 would work with a TP link router just as well. Maybe the OP needs to junk the supplied router. I usually dig them out of the cupboard and use them for checking things out when problems arise.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?