Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 80/20 speed expectations

AndrewD
Grafter

Re: Fibre 80/20 speed expectations

@Gandalf  Thanks for this.

I power cycled the modem and router and ran speed tests. Vodafone getting 56/17 and Syn Ltd getting 67/17 so I guess some peak time demand is impacting a bit.

Still, it appears you have fixed the major problem!  I will test tomorrow outside of peak and let you know what I get.

Thanks a lot. 

A

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for getting back to me @AndrewD That's looking a lot better!

Upload speed looks about right, I wouldn't worry about the 3mbps drop between the sync speed and throughput. Download speed of 67mbps could be a tad higher.

Are you testing the speed on a direct ethernet connection to your router with nothing open in the background on the computer you're using and ideally all other devices switched off?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AndrewD
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf     Wireless connection, other devices connected but nothing using anything significant though. No background tasks.   That's how I normally benchmark.  B ut I will test again tomorrow and if still low, I will connnect to ethernet as I was doing for the ticket and repost.  Thanks. 

AndrewD
Grafter

Hello @Gandalf 

Throughput a lot better last night.

This morning at 10.15am using ethernet on ookla speed test I was getting about 71mbps down, 17.1mbps up.  The BT speed tester not too far off that and indicating an IP profile of 74.1mbps. 

All in line with my expectations. Just out of interest, is that Bras IP profile recorded differently in your systems as I think you said in a previous reply you had checked it and it was 76.xxs something?

Thanks very much

A

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Andrew, thanks for the posts back.

No problem at all, I'm glad to see your speeds are pretty much perfect now. Thumbs_Up

I can't explain the slight discrepancy between the bRAS profile we're seeing at 76326 and the one on the BT speedtester. It's possible that one of them may not have updated fully, I suspect the Speedtester is correct though as that's about 92% of your raw sync speed you can see at 79.9mbps which is about right for a line with retransmission high.

Feel free to let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Cheers -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet