cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber speed

davidoneman
Dabbler

Fiber speed

Ive moved to fiber and im only getting 11 meg at most , i was told i would get 40 meg for the price difference i might as well be back on normal broadband unless me speed goes up
11 REPLIES 11
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fiber speed

If this is a new fibre (not fiber - that's American spelling!) installation, it's likely that your Plusnet Current Line Speed needs to be updated.
Check what it says here - login required.
It's probably still set at the value for your previous ADSL service. It should update automatically, but sometimes needs a kick. If you call in they should be able to update it for you, or you could wait for the automatic update, or wait for the CRT boys and girls to pounce on this one in the morning.
davidoneman
Dabbler

Hi this is what it say
Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
KNOTTINGLEY
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-21 20:02:19
Current line speed:
11.7 Mb
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: davidoneman
Current line speed: 11.7 Mb

That's the crucial bit and should update to the Fibre profile, probably overnight. If it doesn't, then either phone or wait for CRT intervention in the morning.
AndyT
Grafter

Hi davidoneman,
As Jaggies advised, your line profile has yet to increase.  I have just done this manually for you, so after a reboot of your router you should notice a much improved throughput speed.  Sorry for the delay in this being updated, please let me know via this thread if you do not see any improvement following a reboot.
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just to add my 2p's worth, you can also do a speed test here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ once that has completed click the further diagnostic button and let that do its thing, you can then see what your IP Profile for your line is set at Smiley
davidoneman
Dabbler

its much better now getting around 30 meg
Cecemf

I ha d fault in my line recently and I used to get 30mb speed, after the fault wax fixed and when the connection came back I got more then I used to be, now I'm at 73mb ! makes me wonder that from day one they didn't connect my line properly.
Now I'm finally thinking I'm getting my money worth  Grin
davidoneman
Dabbler

Id be very happy with a speed of 73 meg as well
davidoneman
Dabbler

Well ive done a speed check this morning and im getting 3meg download speed  Sad , ive rechecked where it says about current line speed and its gone back to 11 meg not very happy
davidoneman
Dabbler

Now cant even get any internet , this is very poor my dads on sky fiber lives further away for caninet to me and has a constant 39 meg and has never had any problems
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@davidoneman,
Really sorry for the disappointing speeds.
I can see you called in last night and we've outlined the advice given on ticket 93001228, you should be able to take a look at that at http://contactus.plus.net if you need to.
We're also producing support videos now, here's one about broadband speed checks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnZUl3kc3Y&list=PLZx9FPn3_-IWW7WetOtIy8JV4reZCA0MU
Please let us know how you get on and we'll do all we can to make sure that gets sorted ASAP
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team