cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber speed worse than dial-up

leehamilton51

Fiber speed worse than dial-up

Hi there, 

Long time PlusNet user, but first time posting. 

Noticed our Fiber broadband cutting out a lot recently and getting the dreaded flashing orange light on the router. We're big time gamers so not much fun. 

Ran a speed test, both wifi and via ethernet cable and results averaged a download speed of 3.31 Mbps with even the upload speed beating it at 3.57 Mbps. It used to be closer to 18-ish.

Have checked the usual suspects, swapped micro filters, always use the master BT socket, plugged in another telephone, but don't have another fiber router and just using the PlusNet Hub One that they gave us a couple of years ago. Also did a few line tests which didn't show any problems and a quiet line test that was clear, though I have had a couple of calls that were extraordinarily crackly a few months back (really don't use the house phone very much)

Is anyone available to do give advice, do some sort of line check, or other? Tried to access the online chat service about this but it said it was unavailable, even though it was within their operating times??  

Any help appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fiber speed worse than dial-up

Thanks for your post @leehamilton51 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems. I've tested your line and apart from confirming what you're seeing, the tests aren't showing a definitive cause for your slow speeds but we can see there's a fault somewhere.

As the next step if you've tried plugging your router into the test socket found behind the faceplate of the master socket explained Here before we arrange an engineer to investigate, I'd recommend trying another router.

To get a new one as your router is more than a year old/out of warranty I'd call our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to discuss this as we may need to recontract you to post a new router out free of charge.

You'd also be able to buy your own router, setting it up using the details found Here.

Failing that if your speeds are still slow I'd report a fault online to us at http://faults.plus.net posting back once you've completed this and we'll pick the ticket up as soon as we can and arrange an engineer visit with you.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehamilton51

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if Plusnet would just send the same make of router, or is there a newer version available? Might try and get a third party router before committing to renewing the contract otherwise. Would the BT Smart Hub be compatibe etc? 

Many thanks. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @leehamilton51 

If we send out a new router it'll be the same make and model as the one you've got. 

A BT Smart Hub should work and there's instructions Here on how to set it up if you go down that path.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehamilton51

Hi there, 

Took a while but got a BT Smart Hub and connected it up.  Works, but speeds remain just as slow, if not slightly worse. Have opened a ticket on the faults page. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for reporting a fault. I've just reported that to Openreach and have added an update to your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=198452183 - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team