Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber speed drop 3 -6 PM, regular as clockwork

dafyddmonks
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fiber speed drop 3 -6 PM, regular as clockwork

Hello guys,
Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with low speed in the afternoon.
Currently, I'm experiencing download speeds of ~6 Mbit/s and upload speeds of ~12 mbit/s between the hours of 3 and 6 PM - with very bad packet latency. I have checked my router and network switches and everything is fine with no changes made my end. After 6 PM, the speed shoots up to download ~ 33 mbit/s and upload at ~12 mbit/s. It very much feels like I'm being throttled or that somewhere, plusnet's systems are overloaded in the afternoon. Either way, I am self employed and usually have skype/netmeeting conferences in the afternoon and this problem is making them almost un-usable - not so much because of the bandwidth but because of the latency/packet loss.
The thing I can't understand is, if this were a fault, how come as soon as the bell strikes 6, everything returns to normal and is fine again?
Anyone else having similar problems?
All the best,
~Dafydd
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fiber speed drop 3 -6 PM, regular as clockwork

Hi dafyddmonks,
We do actually see faults like this that only seem to take effect at certain times of day.
In some cases this can be due to a REIN fault, this is a type of issue where either usually electrical interference from a device on a timer (central heating for example) causes the issue. It's not always the case but is definitely worth considering.
I've just been running some diagnostics and whereas this doesn't show an obvious cause for the problem, I can see the results of your speed test have captured the issue whilst it's evident so thanks for that and for raising a fault.
Please bear with us and you'll have an official response to ticket 114085045 soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fiber speed drop 3 -6 PM, regular as clockwork

I'm finding my internet connection drops especially in late afternoon.
I'm only just beginning to take note of it and this week it's happened at 3pm and 4pm ... (and other times, but not sure they are regular ...)