Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber question

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Fiber question

Hi to all, could i have some advice please, I changed to plusnet Fiber ( to box) and land line from 20mb adsl, had problems originally with fiber speeds, some I hold my hands up was my fault, line was changed 5/2/20 from Bt.
I've had fiber for some weeks now but my estimated speed is supposed to be 38/40mbps, I live just a few mtrs from exchange.
I've checked regularly and line speed is only 21mbps I've pasted numbers below
Your broadband service
Product: Unlimited Fibre
Estimated Download Range: 38 - 40Mbps
Estimated Upload Range: 8 - 10Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 30.9Mbps
Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps
Do I reboot router again or leave it another 14 days, bearing in mind I've had the fiber since 3/1/20, any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards jono
10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Fiber question

Do you have a vdsl filtered master socket?

If not you are unlikley to get the best speeds.

Also if not, remove the face plate from your master socket and use the hidden test socket with a seperate filter.

Look at the results in the advanced section/Helpdesk and see if your synch and max attainable speeds increase.

jono
Aspiring Pro

Got filter etc, checked in router hub one it's got sync or whatever they call it at 39.9 down and 9.999 up. Only have one phone from master socket, cable goes straight to Hub1 and that's it, before going over to fiber I was on adsl unlimited and had speeds of 20mbps practically all the time and for the yrs I've been with Plusnet ( 11 yrs) I don't want to reboot incase it makes it worse.
Regards
Jono
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jono 

What download speed are you actually getting on a speedtest? Your sync speeds are fine so no need to reboot the router.

The current line speed figure looks lile the old ADSL2+ profile but this may not have any effect as it is not normally used UNLESS you have paid Plusnet £5 for a static IP address, have you done that?

jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Not as far as I know, never heard of static IP address, Had an engineer out this morning who tested everything including cable from BT socket up to router, only thing he did was fit a new master socket but thouroughly tested everything so fault not in the property.

When the line was transferred from BT to Plusnet last week I have noticed that at first download speed on my account area at the bottom of read out was 4mb which changed to 21 mbps but never got any higher. I'm expecting a call from technical dept tommorow afternoon, beginning to wish I'd never upgraded now but thanks for the help.

I think there is something wrong either at the  exchange or my speed has been limited some how, got me stumped, funny thing is I changed to to fiber back at beginning of January this year but line didnt transfer untill 5th Feb, speeds from January were from 30mbps to 35 mbps.

regars

jono

jono
Aspiring Pro

Sorry missed bit about speed download acheived, its arround 19.7 mbps  down and 8 to 9 up,  the upspeed no problems .

regards

Jono

jono
Aspiring Pro

Hello, I would like to thank everyone who took the trouble to help me out with my Broadband Problem, I phoned technical suport today and it was fixed in a short time on the phone.

The problem was that the connection profile was stuck on 21 mbps, a similar problem was reported by forum member Docdelete.

Regards to all

Jono 😀

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jono,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on here. It's great to hear that the connection profile issue has been resolved following your call to our technical support team. Please let us know if you experience any further problems with your connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me, I only have a couple of questions regarding the settings within my broadband.
1 noticed when checking speeds with bt wholesale ip profile 38 Mbps, is it possible to set it higher slightly?
2 The line speed was 21mbps, after resetting at your end it went to 37 Mbps do I reboot router again? I don't want to risk dropping back to lower speeds.

Regards
Jono
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

On the standard fibre, we can't increase it I'm afraid.

You don't need to reboot if you're getting the new speed. If you're not, and for future reference, it's best to log into the router and manually disconnect and re-connect to prevent any DLM problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me and thanks for the info, newby to fiber having been on standed internet for several yrs.
I was constantly getting 19 to 20 Mbps so been spoilt some what, good info about resetting router from within.
Regards
Jono