cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber problems. Need new router

markebaker

Fiber problems. Need new router

I've been tring to get fiber broadband for the passed month. Three engineer appointments. Third time lucky. Sort of. The engineer came and installed the face plate and then connected my adsl router to the faceplate. He then Left. No openreach modem. No internet. So now I need a new router. What do I need to look for?
8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fiber problems. Need new router

Get on the phone and speak to PlusNet, they should send you an Openreach modem.
The OR engineer should have left you with a working service, ideally you should not have leave without a working service, easy to say now though!
If you have a BT Homehub 5, you can get online with that.
amcclean
Rising Star

YOu can use PPPOE to connect one wired machine to fibre in the mean time.
Connect ethernet cable then setup new PPPOE connection.
see http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...

podman
shure
Grafter

Sounds to me like you need a modem, not a router.  You didn't mention what ADSL router you have but some may be flashed with different firmware to work with fibre.  PN should be able to send you an Openreach modem in any event and you may be able to use your current ADSL router with that.  Too little info to say for sure but I shouldn't go out and buy a new router just yet when that might not be what you need
markebaker

I do need a modem. VDSL? I'm using a home hub 3 because my netgear is rubbish. I've been using the home hub 3 for about a month and I think I need to upgrade to a router with a fiber modem.
shure
Grafter

On the modem front PN are obliged to provide you with one as part of the service.  The engineer should have brought one and if he didn't you should make a complaint.  In any event you should contact PN immediately and get them to send one out.  There should be no cost.  Just make sure they understand it is the modem you are talking about, as otherwise they will probably send you a router and charge you for P&P to boot.
You should be able to use your HH3 with fibre anyway?  There's an article here which explains what you need to do.
I'm a little confused by your last post.  It suggests that you have already managed to connect using the HH3.  Is this the case?  If so, what specific problems are you still experiencing that makes you want to get something else?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: shure
On the modem front PN are obliged to provide you with one as part of the service.  The engineer should have brought one and if he didn't you should make a complaint.  In any event you should contact PN immediately and get them to send one out.  There should be no cost.

Exactly that.  No VDSL2 modem, no FTTC internet.
Alternatively you could purchase a 'better' all-in-one: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
As others have said the engineer should have proved that the modem was in sync before they left, which is obviously impossible as they didn't leave one.
I can see we've dispatched one and it should arrive in the next couple of days.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
markebaker

Sorry shure I was using the wrong tense. I meant I was using the HH3 with ADSL. I was using the HH3 because my netgear would randomly drop ethernet connection and it was free from a friend.
Thanks for the help. I'll see what happens.