cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber max line rate reduced.

mathewjknott
Dabbler

Fiber max line rate reduced.

Does anyone know why my areas max fiber speed would have been reduced?
The attached file, max_speed.jpg shows what speeds it showed when i signed up in February and low_speed.jpg shows what its now showing.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fiber max line rate reduced.

Snap
This is because as more lines become enabled the system updates its guess although that change seems excessive
These are my before and after - my sync is 48Mb/s and it hasn't really changed
mathewjknott
Dabbler

Thanks, so there is nothing that can be done to improve it and in a way them saying 80mb download max is a lie as they know when more lines are connected this will never be achievable
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not quite
When they first activated the fibre cab they estimated the speed based on the distance from the cab to your local distribution point assuming normal quality cables
Once they had a few lines connected they saw that the estimate was wrong possibly due to the line quality and updated it
In my case the bulk of the lines in the multicore from the cab to the local distribution point give speeds a lot less than I am achieving as my neighbour found out. The engineer said that this was due to the cable being lead sheathed
This is totally different to cross talk reducing the speed as that usually only causes about a 10% drop although some are more some are less
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: mathewjknott
them saying 80mb download max is a lie
No. Those figures are always an estimate based on what BT's system know at the time. FTTC is a complicated technology whose exact performance is hard to predict for a variety of reasons. All that's happened here is that BT's systems have adjusted their predictions in the light of real world information.
One of those factors is crosstalk (interference between different lines). That can vary over time as new subscribers take up the service or existing subscribers cease their service.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You mean that when they installed a cabinet they couldn't be bothered to do a speed test on a few spare pairs to make sure it was working?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Andrue
Pro

Quote from: vilefox
You mean that when they installed a cabinet they couldn't be bothered to do a speed test on a few spare pairs to make sure it was working?
Which spare pairs would they test? And, having tested them, the fact they were spare would mean that the test was irrelevant.
VileReynard
Hero

You would think they would take a walk up the road a bit, fish out a couple of bits of wire and check that they could get a fibre connection back to the exchange.
Alternately, they could wait for the first mug to sign up and wait for the complaints to roll in.

zaphodb
Dabbler

Quote from: mathewjknott
Does anyone know why my areas max fiber speed would have been reduced?
The attached file, max_speed.jpg shows what speeds it showed when i signed up in February and low_speed.jpg shows what its now showing.

Yes. BT have profiled your line speed down. They need to reset this. I have this problem every couple of months and it is very frustrating because it takes about a week for Pleusnet and BT to even work out that this is the problem each time. the synic in me thinks that this is done to save BT bandwidth. So much for unlimited bandwidth.
VileReynard
Hero

What attached file?
Here is mine, over the last 6 months - I'm presently complaining that I want the speed I had in July/August.

Andrue
Pro

You would think they would take a walk up the road a bit, fish out a couple of bits of wire
No I wouldn't. That would be a pointless waste of time. If the wires are unused they won't(*) be jumpered to the FTTC cabinet - that is only done on demand and they are usually disconnected when the service is stopped. If the wires have never been used at all (entirely possible) they won't even be jumpered back to the exchange at the original cabinet.
An engineer could of course temporarily jumper some random pairs to the FTTC cabinet in order to then trace them back and test them but that would be a phenomenal waste of time. Having done all that jumpering (and bearing in mind they'll have to reverse it again when they are done) the tests would be irrelevant precisely because they are unused. No-one cares how unused pairs perform nor how using them might affect pairs that are in use.
Alternately, they could wait for the first mug to sign up and wait for the complaints to roll in.
Or you could hope that your customers understood the concept of an estimate and perhaps even that they understand the limitations of the technology they are paying for. You could at least hope that they have the patience and maturity to do a little research before throwing their toys out of the pram  Tongue
VileReynard
Hero

FTTC is hardly leading edge.
I've had it since 2012 - and that was a couple of years after the first installs.
Luckily it worked first time for me.

Andrue
Pro

FTTC is hardly leading edge.
True although telcos are still learning how it actually performs in the wild. And that's an important point - the nature of DSL means that what happens in the lab is no guarantee of what will happen in the real world. Even if we're still using FTTC in fifty years time (I hope not) there will still be uncertainty about what performance a specific customer will see when their line goes live for the first time.
DSL technologies simply don't offer any guarantees. They adapt to the line they are running on and there are a lot of hard to predict, line specific characteristics. It's no more practical to predict the exact connection speed for a new line (or even predict the speed for an existing provision at some date in the future) as it is to predict the exact time to the second of my drive home from work today. It'll be less than an hour and more than ten minutes and that's all anyone can say Wink