cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber line installation

blackcell1
Hooked

Fiber line installation

I'm currently running an ADSL line and I don't have a fiber connection at home even tho fiber is available in my exchange. I was wondering how I would go about with getting a fiber port installed? ADSL doesn't support my needs.
26 REPLIES 26
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Fiber line installation

@blackcell1 , welcome to the forums. If FTTC is available to you, and you wish to switch to it, providing you are a Plusnet customer, the best way is to give Customer Options a call on 08004320200 - but I would suggest you do that as early in the morning as possible, due to reduced staffing and high call levels.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@blackcell1  You need to be more specific with what is available. You say fibre is available at your exchange which doesn't mean it is available at your address. What does this checker say for your phone number?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

If it shows FTTC available, that is fibre to the cabinet with the connection to the house through your existing phone line. There would be no installation work required. You can upgrade to this if it showing speed estimates that meet your needs.

If in the unusual case that only WBC FTTP is available  (note: Not FTTP on Demand) that will require a new fibre connection to your house, unfortunately Plusnet do not supply FTTP so you would have to move to another ISP.

blackcell1
Hooked

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

That first image shows that fttc is available. Commonly known as VDSl
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It also shows you are already on VDSL, but only getting 34Mbps and have a Bridge Tap which may be the reason for the low speeds.

Your line is capable of double that speed as indicated in the top section of the report.

Even now you should be closer to 38Mbps.

blackcell1
Hooked

Yeah it's my biggest downfall, understanding networking issues. That's my lines stats, I only have a ADSL line installed and tbh it's not very good at all. Basically ATM I can only really stream on one connection, if my partner wishes to jump on her computer and open YouTube the network crumbles. So if I ran Plusnet in the morning they'd be able to help with a fiber line install?
blackcell1
Hooked

Plus I really need to sort something out, me and my partner are heavy gamers, we only get like 3mb down from steam. It's really not my network as I've chucked cash at my hardware in my last house when I was on virgin.
jab1
Legend

As @Mustrum says above you are already on fibre, but with an inpacted connection - that needs sorting.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@blackcell1  you are not on ADSL, you are on VDSL or FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet).

By all means call in the morning, get the upgrade, wait and see that it has not increased and get PN to send an engineer to sort your wiring or what ever is causing the slowdown.

In the mean time, are you plugged into the Master Socket or an extension? Have you tried the Test socket? Are you able to lig into the router and get to the Help Desk page if its a Hub 1?

blackcell1
Hooked

Im currently running a RT-AC88U/with asuswrt installed that's bridged to my supplied Plusnet that's wired to a microfilter to the socket. I've tried and messed around with everything. I've never hit anything over 4mb. I guess I'll be calling them.
jab1
Legend

I'm not an expert - I'll leave that to @Mustrum or @RealAleMadrid , but that set-up sounds horrendous, and I'm not surprised you are getting the speed you are.

John
blackcell1
Hooked

the network issues are the same even if im connected directly to the plusnet router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@blackcell1 You are essentially running two routers which can and will cause issues. You can't bridge them, the best you could do is set your router as an Access Point as you can't do anything else with the PN 1. Your router does not have a modem, so you would be better off getting one, or swapping your router for the DSL version.

Dangly filters can be OK, as long as you do not have any other extensions! If you do, then a filtered Master Socket provides the best results.

I would advise sorting one issue at a time..

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum Reading other posts where the ASUS routers/modem-routers are mentioned, the general consensus seems to be they are not much better than the Hub1 - would the OP be be better getting a BT HH6? - although I still think there are other issues here.

John