cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber down again

Nick001
Grafter

Fiber down again

Seems to be a monthly occurrence at the moment. But the internet has just suddenly died on me for no reason whatsoever. Can this be looked at please very inconvenient to happen at 7.30 in the evening.

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Fiber down again

Hi @Nick001

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can see that you're currently connected to the internet but have experienced drops in connection over the last few months.

I've tested your line and no external faults are present. With this in mind it’s likely that the cause of the drops is within your premises.

Could you run through our troubleshooting guides here primarily and see if this helps?

If this doesn't resolve the issue I'd suggest raising a fault here so that we can progress this for you

Thanks,

Dave

Nick001
Grafter

I have done all of this. Plus used a different router. Same thing happens. Every 12 hours or so the internet drops completely. It has only got worse the last few days.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Nick001, thanks for your message.

As of about 2 hours ago, we can see that the broadband password is pulling through as incorrect and that you're currently offline.

To correct this, please follow the below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Broadband.'

4) You will see some default options, if not, please press 'Disconnect' on the right and this will allow you to change the Username and Password.

5) For your username, this should be your account username and should be in the following format: username@plusdsl.net
Your password is your account password

6) Press 'Connect' and you should be online.

Please let us know once you've reconnected and we'll proceed with further fault diagnostics.

Nick001
Grafter

Thanks for replying switfly

Entered the password wrong unintentionally this morning trying to fix the issue. Been corrected. But the issue still persists.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Nick001,

Your router is still stuck in setup@ mode and hasn't attempted to make a successful connection since half 1 this afternoon. We need to make sure it's correct before we progress this further as a fault for you. Can you please log back in and ensure the username is also updated to your correct username (I'd also reenter the password just in case too). 

Nick001
Grafter

Username was entered and correct password was entered at about 3pm roughly and still it literally just did nothing, and about 2 minutes before i got this message the broadband light started flashing red. Then router rebooted and the internet came back.. for now. Albiet at a lower speed.
Nick001
Grafter

Speeds have recovered. I will continue to monitor. And make note of the time it goes down again. If it does.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Nick001,

Just checked actually and it looks like your line has been affected by a number of Openreach major service outages this week the first one looking like it was 'notified' out yesterday morning, and then another today. I say notified because we haven't actually been notified of any outage but having checked with Openreach's network incident team just in case it appears that's the possible cause, which is also likely why the auth issues were occurring earlier. 

The timings don't match up perfectly with what's been happening to you so please do keep an eye on things and let us know if you continue to have problems. 

Nick001
Grafter

Okay thankyou. That may explain the frequent breaks in service if there has been outages.

I will make note if it happens again. Thankyou.
Nick001
Grafter

Dont know as of what time it went out. But as of 10.45 when i got home..the internet is out again.. internet was on a solid 18 hours without issue before this

Edit- as 11.10 it came back on
Nick001
Grafter

Down again as of 12.35
wanderer303
Hooked

in rochford essex my service has been experiencing outages too
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Nick001 I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing connection problems. There was a major service outage active in your area earlier today but that's since been resolved.

I recommend keeping an eye on things moving forward and if you notice the drops continue/get more frequent, let us know and we'll raise this back through to our suppliers looking to arrange an engineer to investigate further.

@wanderer303 It looks like your connection returned at about the same time you posted this having been disconnected since midnight last night. Difficult to advise retrospectively what could've caused that, because line tests aren't showing any causes for that now. I also recommend keeping an eye on things, let us know if you encounter any further issues.

Having said that, I can see your line speeds are restricted to 49mbps by the automated software at the exchange so I've requested what's known as a DLM reset to lift the restriction and try to improve your speeds. That should go through within the next 2 to 3 working days. Let us know how your speeds look afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Nick001
Grafter

4 weeks later and the exact same problem has returned. Broadband light is on so no internet. The dial tone is clear though.