cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber disconnections at least once a day and net lagging.

steveuk
Grafter

Re: Fiber disconnections at least once a day and net lagging.

I will keep an eye on things for a few days as things seemed to have gone back to normal after another D/C bout an hour ago.
One thing i would like to see if possible is a radius graph of my connection going back at least 1 month as this is when everything started to go funny.
Sadiro
Dabbler

Well well well....

Here i am, after weeks ( literally, i mean, 3 weeks straight non stop) - constant resets 1-2twice per day, noticeable to the point the ip is shifting so much, im getting constant emails to verify "new ip locations" from so many of my programs i use daily.
Its becoming in-tolerable to say the least, honestly, and i dont usually mind lil peeves, but this is taking the biscuit.
Do you know for 5 days, i was running as a "USA" location from my ip - teamspeak, steam, regions on games, all considered me USA region - it made life hell on trying to actually do the things i do.
Is there an underlying problem too this that were not being in the loop about?
Testings going on beneath our know abouts?
Please, try get the word across to whoever it is that needs to be told, but we cant be the only ones here getting constant disconnects, and im not on wifi either, all 4 pc's in my house are being effected by it, 2 wifi's -  2 Cat 6's.
steveuk
Grafter

Still not better today, router has disconnected about 10 times since i posted yesterday and its just done it again now, went out came back and noticed a red light so something is defo playing silly games.
Might aswell add everything i can here so you can get an idea of what has been going on.
All started over a month ago when plusnet has internal issues with the network, i started to notice my router droping out a lot but thought nothing of it at first.
I then notice the net feeling slugish so i do a peed test and notice im only getting 15mbps so i go on the bt speed test and let it run and it says my profile is 32mbps so i think to myself thats a bit odd, anyways left it a few hours and did a bt test again and low and behold my profile has droped to 15mbps, this went back up on its own in teh space of about 2 hours aswell according to another bt speed test.
While all this is going my netgear router is D/C a lot at least once or twice a day and its being doing it since.
I did have a good few days with no loss of connection over the last week but things went funny again same scenario as above.
So lastnight i plug the plusnet router back in and it been droping connection loads at least 10 times from what i have seen.
foss
Hooked

Same problem here; daily disconnections, mainly in the eveneing, pages not always loading properly.
Plusnet supplied a replacement router in September when I last reported this problem. But  nothing changed. I also tried an old TalkTalk router with the modem, and that didn't improve anything.
Interesting to read that I'm not alone in this.
steveuk
Grafter

Just woke up to a solid red light and no access to the router interface as its just proper spazed out so had to do a hard reset the router to get back online.
bet within 30 mins i get d/c again so it will be back to the netgear router as this plusnet one is useless.
Have done the fault checker again so waiting for a reply but i just find it very odd how everything was fine for a long time then out the blue everything starts going funny and we get the blame or its something to do with our setups, Well nothing has changed my end for the last 3 bloody years.
As i said in my very first post this all started when plusnet had problems over a month ago and everyone could not get online for like 9 hours so i am blaming this is the starting issue.
foss
Hooked

Just a quick update on this. I raised a ticket on this and got a reply from Plusnet, the interesting bit of which I'm pasting below:
I have noticed that there is a pattern with the drops on your line, this could be effecting the performance of the line. If you use AVAST then please red the following information below.

It appears that there was recently an update to Avast's Home Network Security (HNS) software that can cause the Hub Zero to reboot roughly once every 24 hours, which can present the symptoms of a DCN (dropping connection) issue.
This feature of the software runs a number of highly intrusive tests against an end user's internal network including their router looking for un-encrypted Wi-Fi, default router passwords and DNS hijacking, and under some conditions it's been observed to cause Sagemcom routers used by various providers (including our FTTC/ADSL variant) to exhibit this behaviour.
- Go to AVAST Settings > Tools and set Home Network Security to OFF. You will then be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Once the PC reboots, Home Network Security will be disabled. This does not disable the overall protection offered through your chosen application (If the software is installed across multiple devices, this action needs to be completed on all devices).

I actually have Avast running on three machines, so this grabbed my attention. Turned off HNS and didn't notice any disconnections last night, though it's too soon to draw conclusions. Will post back after a few days.
steveuk
Grafter

Not using avast here and things seemed to have settled down for a few days again so still not sure what might be causing problems but looking around the forum it seems a few ppl have had simler issues to me.