cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber disconnections at least once a day and net lagging.

steveuk
Grafter

Fiber disconnections at least once a day and net lagging.

Hi i seem to have an issue over the last 3 weeks to a month where my connection seems to drop  out at least once everyday.
Is there any chance i can get one of them radius graph things to see whats going on as im am used to having my connection stay up for weeks at a time.
I've also noticed my speed has droped down to 32mbps where as before the recent issues i was connected at full speed and had no issues at all for ages.
My connection also feels like its lagging a lot on many websites, pages fail to load or time out randomly or just take ages to load and i also think my modem might be fualty as the reset button never seems to work if i want to use it.
21 REPLIES 21
devonshiredan

Re: Fiber disconnections at least once a day and net lagging.

I am seeing a similar thing.
Its really noticeable while playing games or talking over VoIP (teamspeak for example).
For me the connection isnt dropping just lagging really badly in spikes.
I have checked the usual things and there doesnt seem to be anything my end.
I replaced my router not to long ago as it was suspected my old one was at fault (which did fix a previous issue).
The speed seems ok but just very often im getting spikes of huge latency and it seems like throttling rather than connection issues as i dont think packets are dropping.
Not sure what details are required but i noticed this post and there is another as well so it sounds like it might not be just me?
steveuk
Grafter

Im a technical person when it comes to pc's, i have been building fixing and upgrading them for almost 20 years so i know everything is fine pc.
I also know the connection drops due to the new ip showing in my router and due to being kicked out of world of warcraft or what ever online game i am playing at the time.
From what i can tell the connection usualy drops out at night but the time can range from early evening to early hours of the morning.
Usualy i would not care but its happening way to often for my likeing and its starting to annoy me especialy when i get kicked from world of warcraft in the middle of a raid or boss fight.
when i can finaly log back in, i'm dead and have to waste loads of gold on fixing my equipments grrrrrrrrrr.
If possible could a plusnet staff memeber tell me what type of cab im connected to aswell please.
@devonshiredan no its not just you seeing simler things and to be honest this all seems to stem back to when plusnet had issues about a month ago or when ever it was.
rob1uk

Hi Steve
I too have the exact same faults as reported here. see my post fibre lagging.
Funny enough my problem started about 1 month ago too.
I too am technically minded with 30 years experience.
My connection also feels like its lagging a lot on many websites, pages fail to load or time out randomly. It was blissful to see my router connected 40 days at a time. Now I am lucky to go 72 hours without a disconnect. The lag is killing all enjoyment. I have changed from the plusnet router to 3 Bt hubs and back again with no improvement at all.
Hope you get the problem sorted.
Rob
steveuk
Grafter

Hi rob1uk
Thanks for your reply  Smiley
I've tried a few things such as using open DNS or google DNS and none of that helped.
The odd thing is i don't seem to be having issues with latency that have noticed its just the net feels really slugish and the droped connections.
spudbynight
Dabbler

Are you using a Thompson or Sagemcom router?
I've been on the Thompson. I recently moved to the Sagemcom and started getting disconnections every day. Moved back to the Thompson and it all stopped. Lots of people having issues with the Sagemcom routers from what I can see here on the forums.
steveuk
Grafter

I replaced the Thompson router as i was having issues with it so I'm now using my trusty netgear router and have not had or noticed any problems with it.
steveuk
Grafter

And there is goes again loss of connection and new ip grr starting to get sick of this now.
Either sort it out or i'm off
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: spudbynight

I've been on the Thompson. I recently moved to the Sagemcom and started getting disconnections every day. Moved back to the Thompson and it all stopped. Lots of people having issues with the Sagemcom routers from what I can see here on the forums.

Yes the Sagemcom seems to be extremely unreliable.
steveuk
Grafter

Thought i would do a BT speed test today because i did not do one when i last posted about my connection dropping out.
It's not looking good Sad
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1446293708254699955
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you're seeing connection issues I'd strongly advise going through troubleshooting http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/ and if that doesn't help report the fault to us at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
steveuk
Grafter

My net seems to have gone funny again so to rule out anything my end i have removed my netgear router and connected the plusnet router back up and checked all the cables and everything seems fine my end.
What happens is and as can be seen from my pics, my speed seems to drop to half and then stays there for ages and at the same time my BT profile plays silly games, i will run a test and it will say my download is 15mbps but my profile is 32.3mbps then the profile itself will drop to 15mbps then about 2 hours later it seems to go back up but my speed stays at 15mbps.
Does anyone have any idea what might cause this? it's happened 2 or 3 times since i made the original post.
BTW all my tests are done wired as i hate wireless so its not a wireless issue.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Almost certainly your problems will be due to an external line fault. Water getting into the line or a poor connection somewhere outside your property is a typical cause and you will need a BT engineer to check this out ( Lucky you! ) . You have been advised to go throught the fault checker process so I suggest you do that. If you do decide to move ISP and there is an external fault then you will not notice any improvement if the external fault still exists.
steveuk
Grafter

I did do the checker and they said no faults found  Sad
MelRocks
Grafter

Right, you need to go through the broadband fault checker to raise this then:
http://faults.plus.net
It will still let you raise if you state that the issue is ongoing. Thank you.