cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber broadband slow speed

JohnW07

Fiber broadband slow speed

Hi, back in November I renewed my existing contract for fiber broadband and at that time I pointed out that the speed of my service had never been anywhere near the original speed I was told to expect. Initially The line was checked and I was told that the problem must be at my end. The speed of my service at that time was low 20’s mbps. A number of suggestions were passed on to me to try, resetting channels etc, all of which I have tried many times before, and your technical department even had BT check out the line. All made no difference, but after a number of phone conversations with your technical guys the speed suddenly, out of nowhere jumped to 35-38 mbps which I was absolutely delighted with having never had speeds like that before, I am told that is the speed I should be getting as a standard. Bear in mind this happened with absolutely no changes at my end. 
Just over a week ago I noticed that the speed was now running between 15-19 mbps which is totally unacceptable for fiber, and with no changes at my end, I left it for about a week to see if the speed recovered, when it didn’t I contacted Plusnet, 45min wait, and guess what the tech man says the problem is at my end AGAIN, nothing forthcoming apart from all the things that have been suggested and tried before.

I’ve said this to the technical guy’s on a few occasions, ‘it makes me think that Plusnet get your speed up to an acceptable level then over the following weeks gradually turn it down’ . In all the years I’ve been with Plusnet the only period I’ve had the speed acceptable for fiber is in the month from the middle of December last. 

6 REPLIES 6
cOmp
Rising Star

Re: Fiber broadband slow speed

May I ask, was speeds tested wired or wireless? If you was asked to change channels it appears you're testing wireless. Can you test with a wired connection? I've been reading that the provided hub has poor wireless speeds. Although I can't confirm this as I don't have a Plusnet hub.
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
JohnW07

Thanks cOmp,
Yes you are right I did check wirelessly, I’ve got all Mac units and don’t have an adapter for the Ethernet cable. Do you think that the hub provided is that [-Censored-] it varies from less than 20 mbps up to 38?
I know it’s rubbish because even the tech boys suggested I might be better with a different router, doesn’t say much for theirs does it. I never had this trouble with the Sky hub. Problem is a replacement hub isn’t cheap and really they should supply a hub that’s fit for purpose. Thanks for your comments.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yes you are right I did check wirelessly,

Its very difficult to guarantee wireless speeds which is why a wired test is necessary. A significant cause of low wireless speed is interference from neighboring routers. The problem is that most routers default to automatic channel selection to try and find the best channel. So even if you change your channel and it improves, other routers around you may well then adjust their channels in the future and nullify any change you might have made.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JohnW07

MisterW, thanks for your reply, yes I agree that the only accurate way to test the speed is via a wired connection but as I said to the Tech guy I spoke to ‘even if I got 100mbps (wired) to the hub that’s absolutely no use to me if the wireless output is less than 20mbps. I’ve also only got two neigbours with WiFi and not of these show up on my available WiFi systems when I check availability of WiFi. The only other WiFi near my system is a netgear unit for my cctv system and that is a wired connection to the hub. 
cheers

JohnW07

Hi Dvorak 

Thanks for your suggestion I have done this previously whilst in conversation with the Tech guy at Plusnet, my network devices are are equally spread between the two speeds 2.4 and 5 GHz. I also have two other connections wired into the hub, a hard drive and cctv system..