Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Upgrade and 5mbps speeds

FIXED
trebble67
Hooked

Fiber Upgrade and 5mbps speeds

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to fiber (switch was confirmed 24/05/17) and we've been stuck on approx. 5mbps since.

I think I spoke to 4 different online advisers - 2 advised they'd run tests and get back (they didn't), 1 said my order wasn't completed and passed me between departments before the chat crashed and the last one advised that the line was set at 5.7mbps and bumped this up to 37 mbps (with still no change). I attempted speaking to an adviser on the phone who wasn't interested at all and palmed me off with an engineer visit (which i don't think is necaccerry, we were on 18mbps with plusnet ADSL prior and the setup has not changed bar the new One router).

We have nothing plugged into our phone line other than the router and I've tested it from the master socket with no change.

Reading another thread I learned there are different modulations. We are currently connected with G.992.5 Annex A, which I believe to be ADLS. Does anyone have any advice? Here's the full Helpdesk page info if it is of any use -

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:  
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 02:06:57
6. Data rate: 364 / 6296
7. Maximum data rate: 360 / 6420
8. Noise margin: 5.4 / 3.1
9. Line attenuation: 0.2 / 10.3
10. Signal attenuation: 0.3 / 8.3
11. Data sent/received: 68.2 MB / 1.2 GB
12. Broadband username:  
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: a4:08:f5:b2:1d:7c
23. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
24. Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
25. Latency type: Interleaved
26. Software variant: AA
27. Boot loader: 1.0.0

21 REPLIES 21
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Fiber Upgrade and 5mbps speeds

@trebble67

Welcome to the forums.

you are still on ADSL so the upgrade has not happened. I don't know what support were looking at as the modulation  clearly shows ADSL as does the upload speed. 

@Gandalf can you help please 

Guide to the meaning of the modulation line in the Helpdesk output :-

~ Modulation, Line Mode

Type of ADSL Modulation used. eg
     g.dmt = ADSL1.   G.992.5 Annex A = ADSL2+.   G.992.5 Annex M = ADSL2+ with increased upstream.

ADSL1 ADSL2 ADSL2+ VDSL VDSL2
Standard G.992.1 (G.DMT) G.992.3 G.992.5 G.993.1 G.993.2
Max Downstream 8 Mbps 12 Mbps 24 Mbps 40 Mbps 80 Mbps

Annex A Annex B Annex I Annex L Annex M
DSL over POTS
(telephone)
DSL over ISDN digital services Utilises voice frequency ranges for additional 256kbps upstream Extended Reach - increases range of DSL service up to 7KM Upstream frequency range increased to 276kHz for > 3.5Mbps
VDSL2 Profile8c
Bandplan EU128
VDSL2 Profile17a
Bandplan 998-M1x-A

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm#ixzz4iV4Qd3nq 

edits for spelling  and add more info 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

As above, you are still on ADSL, this line needs to change to G.993.2:

24. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there, first of all a warm welcome to the community forums.

Sorry to hear you're having problems your fibre upgrade, after requesting a fibre upgrade.

It looks like your fibre order wasn't placed with our suppliers. I've put that through now, and we'll let you know via a ticket on your account within the next 24 hours when you should expect the service to go live.

In the meantime, our faults team have determined that your current ADSL speed is in sync at a very low speed below your estimates, so in my opinion I would recommend going for an engineer to investigate this further. If you would like to go ahead with that, just reply to the ticket here

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
trebble67
Hooked

Thanks for looking into this.

I've requested the visit and will let you know know how I get on.

Cheers
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. The ticket I've created on your account is with my team.

We'll provide updates and monitor this for you until your fibre is up and running.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gandalf

Thank you for helping out. Smiley

Can I suggest that the FOUR CS staff members are given some feedback as they all missed the rather simple fact that the order had not been put through? It shouldn't have need this thread at all. Sad

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Feed back has been sent.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just a heads up, your fibre order is in progress for the 14th June. Apologies for the wait, it seems that there's a shortage of engineer availability in the area.

A fault engineer is still confirmed by Openreach for tomorrow AM to investigate your current connection speed.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just following up after the engineer visit. It looks like the work they completed hasn't improved the speeds as they're still sitting considerably below your estimates. I'd like to offer you another engineer visit to take another shot at this.

I'll update the ticket on your account to reflect this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
trebble67
Hooked

Unfortunately I wasn't present for the visit however he spent considerable time on the phone with plusnet and replaced the wiring to a new main socket located at our router. He also spent almost 3 hours trying to fix this and stated the problems always pointed away from our property. This is now the only socket in the house and only the router is connected. He detected no faults at our end.

I find it very coincidental that the speed would drop only after we were switched to 'fiber' (I understand that this wasn't ordered correctly). Everything had been working fine up till this point (we were getting 18mbps) and nothing was changed before the switch date.

I really doubt the issue is at our end and we cannot afford any more time off work, unless we can have a visit on the weekend.

It may be worth mentioning that the last time I checked our connecting profile, it was only set at 5mbps. Is it worth increasing this again?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@trebble67 wrote:
I find it very coincidental that the speed would drop only after we were switched to 'fiber' (I understand that this wasn't ordered correctly). Everything had been working fine up till this point (we were getting 18mbps) and nothing was changed before the switch date.

That's likely a coincidence because no changes have been made to your service prior to myself placing the fibre order recently.

@trebble67 wrote:
I really doubt the issue is at our end and we cannot afford any more time off work, unless we can have a visit on the weekend.

Appreciate that, but it's likely the only way we're going to progress the fault. Sad

It's looking like we can arrange an engineer for this Saturday for you. Alternatively, we could leave as is, and this fault doesn't affect your fibre service when it arrives.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
trebble67
Hooked

I'm happy to wait till fiber is installed to see how we get on then.

As far as I'm aware the poor engineer was running about like mad trying to fix it and had to postpone other appointments just to help us!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sounds like the engineer did all they could. Let us know how you get on once fibre has been activated.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
trebble67
Hooked

Will do.

I notice our current line speed is still set at 5mbps, is it worth increasing this again following the work by the engineer?