Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Keeps Disconnecting

FIXED
Plopper
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fiber Keeps Disconnecting

Can anybody help me please.  For the past month or so my Fiber connection has been randomly disconnecting.

I think it is the router or the actual connection that is going wrong not the modem as the DSL light on the modem stays on and the LAN light for the router goes out.

Any help would be great.

18 REPLIES 18
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fiber Keeps Disconnecting

Hi there,

Is the LAN light staying off or is it flashing? I'd expect it to flash as this shows data is transferring. We're not seeing a large amount of disconnections on your line:

If you are having more issues that that, or want to report a fault you can do so at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Plopper
Dabbler

Hello thanx for replying.

As far as I've seen when the connection drops the LAN 1 light that represents the router connection stays off no flickering at all.

And as I said all the lights except for the power go off on the router.

This will last for up to a minute, then all the lights start to flash again and the connection will come back a few seconds later.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

the DSL light on the modem stays on and the LAN light for the router goes out.

And as I said all the lights except for the power go off on the router.

That's not what I read from your original post which advised the DSL light stays on? If you're having issues with the lights going off and the connection dropping I'd advise getting this reported as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Plopper
Dabbler

Thanx for the advice, yes got mixed up sorry.

The DSL light stays on and it's the LAN 1 light that stays off, sorry for the confusion.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Just to clarify, are you talking about the Openreach modem, or the Technicolor router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Plopper
Dabbler

Both, on the Technicolor router that is where all the lights go out except the power.

Oh the Openreach Modem that is where the LAN1 light goes out and the POWER and DSL lights stay on.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hmm, I'd expect your connection to drop if the all the lights [but power] go off on the Technicolor, and the LAN1 light goes off on the Openreach Modem, but your connection from the exchange to the router is stable...

The next step I'd advise is to try a different modem/router. If you'd like a replacement through us, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting Option 1 then Option 2).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Plopper
Dabbler

I may just try your suggestion thanx!  I'm pretty sure with the Modem staying connected that it's a router problem but haven't got another one to test with.

So a replacement may be the next step.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems. Just a heads up, our Customer Options Team are closed now, but they're back open at 8am tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Plopper
Dabbler

I've just had my connection go again!  This time much the same as the rest, it'll disconnect for 45 seconds to a minute and then reconnect.

I managed to get a picture of the router and modem this time.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It may also be worth trying a different Eithernet cable to try and rule that out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Plopper
Dabbler

The cable from the Modem to the Router do you mean?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Yes that's correct.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Plopper
Dabbler

Ah Right that's good as I'm trying that now, new cable between the Modem and the Router and a new router.