Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibe speed drops by 50% every 30 days?

blossomwalk15
Hooked

Fibe speed drops by 50% every 30 days?

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Last month, my fibre dropped from ~50mbps to 25mbps.  No problem, these things happen and although I raised a ticket (132065532), and the automated response found a fault, the issue resolved itself long before PN support replied 8 days later.

I'm now exactly one month later, and seeing the same issue - very low download speeds.  The PN fault reporter also says exactly the same as before - there is a fault on my line - but I'm sure it'll go away by the time PN support get to look at it.  I've attached two BT speedtest reports from yesterday and today.  I can;t be sure, but it does seem to occur only once a month, and even then only at this time of night (after 6pm).

It's all a bit odd, and I guess I'm asking if anyone has any idea what's going on? PN have rung me recently, as just out of contract, to offer a new deal, but I'm reluctant until I can get my lovely old stable connection back.

Drew

(PS - oddly enough, I have a SamKnows box, which reports a perfect download speed.  It's only the lag I experience on browsing, and BT speedtest, which show the issue - plus the PN fault finder).

8 REPLIES 8
blossomwalk15
Hooked

Re: Fibe speed drops by 50% every 30 days?

I forgot to add, my current ticket is 134156911

stoswald
Grafter

If you haven't done so, remove the Sam Knows White box and see if things improve

blossomwalk15
Hooked

Happy to do so, but curious to know how that would help matters?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If the Samknows box is doing it's Video tests at the same times as you are doing the BTW tests, the results will be lower than you expect. Actually the BTW tests tend to vary a lot anyway. A better way would be to keep an eye on your sync speed on your router, and also the latency figures on Samknows, or any other way of tests.

I binned my Samknows box after I saw how much data it was using, even though I am on unlimited, it more than doubled, nearly trebled,  my data usage.

stoswald
Grafter

If your white box is between router and PC, then it could be faulty - mine started to give me to perfect results whilst TBB & Speedtest & BT gave much lower results. Replaced Whitebox and the results are the same as the online checkers.

blossomwalk15
Hooked

One month later...same problem.  Samknows box is disconnected.  I'v attached the results of the test using the speedtest@speedtest_domain login. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The automated testing found a fault and has passed that through for more testing. Our faults team will pick up your ticket in the next 5 working days.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
blossomwalk15
Hooked

That's great news - although the automated tool has found the same every previous time I've raised a fault.  Problem is, everything's back to normal when the fault is investigated a week later, so while I know the faults team are doing their best, I'm not confident.  I've at least been able to do the BT speedtest thing-y (technical term!) now, so hopefully that will help.