Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling frustrated

roisin19
Dabbler

Feeling frustrated

Hello there,

I am hoping I might get a better answer on here, I just tried the live chat and it seems my messages stopped being sent but I could receive them... anyway, some background:

I have had no internet since last week, I have raised a ticket and been through all the fault checking process.

In reply to the last step I was asked to do I asked if the problem could be with my router, which hadn't been mentioned in any of the troubleshooting steps previously.

The reply on my ticket then said since I'd "requested a new router" and went on to discuss pricing because I'd had my account for more than 2 years.

I have two questions, why after two years of being a loyal plusnet customer do I not get a free replacement router when mine breaks? I was told in the live chat it was because it was old (the chat broke before I could query this further). Is 2 years really that old or was I supplied with an old model when I signed up to plusnet?

Secondly, before I spend any more can I get confirmation that the router is the problem as this hasn't been mentioned on my ticket but in the live chat a few moments ago I was told this was definitely the problem? It's my feeling that it is the problem but I am not an engineer!

I feel like I'm being bullied into staying at plusnet for another year or paying £40 because a piece of plusnet equipment has broken (through no fault of mine).

Thanks Smiley

6 REPLIES 6
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Feeling frustrated

Firstly you be much better off buying your own router because plusnets bog standard routers are garbage. Secondly hopefully someone from plusnet will respond with some advice shorty Wink 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

You don't get a replacement router because it is out of warranty.  Replacing the router is a stock problem elimination step.  Is this ADSL?  If yes, hopefully the mods will move this to the right board, in the meantime...

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below. Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router! Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

roisin19
Dabbler

That makes sense, thanks! I was just confused why 2 years was the cut off.

I have a fibre subscription, not sure if that's ASDL or not. I'm not very clued up on all the network terms.

I currently have the PN TG582n router, on which the power light is red. A quick google told me I should try to reboot it, which I attempted but at no point did the light go green. It is not visible on any wireless devices, ones which were connected fine before. I have tried using an ethernet connection to access the router settings to no avail. Hence why I think the problem is here, but in all the PN troubleshooting steps they didn't ask about this at all and started mentioning an engineer. Maybe they need to add in another couple of questions to save unnecessary engineer visits?

Any advice on what I should be looking for when I'm buying a new router? As you can probably tell from my technical knowledge I don't use it for anything fancy, streaming TV and occasional VPN access for work.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

If you have a fibre connection (FTTC or FTTP) then my reference to ADSL is irrelevant.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the router?

Doing a direct connection from your PC to the BT fibre modem would prove a useful diagnostic step.

I think this topic would be better served in the fibre board.  I'll ask a mod to consider moving it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

roisin19
Dabbler

I tried several times to do a factory reset, but it didn't seem to work as the power light always stayed red.

I did try a connection between the PC and the fibre modem. It was using windows 10 so the instructions PN provided were a little different, but I went through the process to set up a connection and it just never worked. I think it's probably something I did/didn't do though as I was in a rush to leave so only spent about 10 minutes playing about with it (and all the lights on the BT modem look the same as always). If anyone has any advice I can try again tonight.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

If the power light is staying red on the router then it sounds very much like the router is broken and you need a new one.